Old 04-10-2018, 05:54 PM #1 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: renick
State: wv.
Diagnosed: 02/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
chally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud of
Very Helpful Member
chally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud of
Default Iíve insurence

Well I am intrigued with a members choice in reaching the finish line by untilizing VSED . Along with hospice help.

Does anyone know what insurence companies think about this.

Seems like a good way to head out but not at the loss of life insurance.
Any thoughts?
Chally
Old 04-10-2018, 06:09 PM #2 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Colorado Springs
State: CO
Diagnosed: 11/2012
GregK has disabled reputation
Very Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Default Re: Iíve insurence

For those like me who had to pause and scratch head briefly...

VSED = Voluntary Stop Eating and Drinking
Old 04-10-2018, 07:27 PM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think insurance companies investigate someone dying under hospice care. If I took an overdose of morphine, I would die of respiratory arrest which is consistent with ALS. Note to PALS/CALS: Some life insurance policies have accelerated benefits that pay out a portion if life expectancy is under a certain number of months. You can also sell an insurance policy and get a viatical settlement from a third party. Both accelerated death benefits and viatical settlements could have tax consequences and can affect Medicaid.

I suppose anything is possible but a case can be made for stopping eating and drinking if there is bulbar involvement.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:41 PM #4 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

Very Helpful Member

I was scratching too when I saw this in in memory.... VSED

Took a bit of searching
Thanks from
GregK (04-10-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 01:17 AM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute

Suicide as the cause of death would invalidate a policy that excluded it. However, VSED with or without hospice should result in a doc listing ALS/respiratory insufficiency as the cause of death on the certificate. It's all about what the doc writes, so you can talk to them in advance if you're worried. I have never known or imagined that a doc would jump into a hornet's nest like that with ALS -- it's a serious charge, for many reasons and requires a coroner's investigation. But with ALS, there is no reason for a coroner to be interested.

In our case, without hospice, the paramedics/cops/coroner's delegate were all happy once I flashed Larry's advance directive at the paramedics, who of course showed up first. I'd imagine in a smaller city, many fewer people would have shown up.

If you think about it, many, many deaths among PALS amount to VSED without calling it that -- the only difference is the number of days by which the strategy is preannounced, and how weak the PALS is at that point.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lgelb For This Useful Post:
azgirl (04-11-2018), Chincoteaguer (04-11-2018), DaChief (04-11-2018), frankb (04-26-2018), Romeosc (04-11-2018), wishmobbing (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 06:35 AM #6 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

Very Helpful Member

Thx Laurie, whatever choice I make I will be sure my family understands the importance of cause of death as ALS
Old 04-11-2018, 10:59 AM #7 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

No one should have to sweat COD as long as you've seen whatever doc will complete the death certificate within the last year. That's pretty much the norm, for that and for getting things like morphine or other rx. Also, FYI, for completeness, some docs will list other known, possibly fatal conditions.

In our case, actually, the doc wasn't around so a physician's assistant did the certificate, double-checking with me. It really is pretty transactional.
Thanks from
notBrad (04-12-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 03:23 PM #8 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Very Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chally View Post
Thx Laurie, whatever choice I make I will be sure my family understands the importance of cause of death as ALS
I believe that this is especially important for Veterans, as survivor benefits depend on it.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:54 PM #9 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

Very Helpful Member

Right you are Greg!
Closed Thread

Tags
hospice, insurance, life, life insurance