Old 04-05-2018, 02:31 PM #1 (permalink)

City: Austin
State: Texas
Diagnosed: 11/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
mpnatx is on a very distinguished roadmpnatx is on a very distinguished road
City: Austin
State: Texas
Diagnosed: 11/2014
mpnatx is on a very distinguished roadmpnatx is on a very distinguished road
Default Falls

I had a fall today walking up one step. No railing, cement floor and alone. Fortunately, only a sprained wrist and a scrape.
I discovered PALS don't fall like we used to. We just go down. Weak arms no longer help break the fall!

Reminder: Falls are extremely dangerous to PALS.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:34 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Falls

Thanks for the reminder Marty. Glad you weren’t hurt badly. True, the PALS fall is different and scary for you and anyone witnessing.

Consequences, as we all know, can be devastating
Old 04-05-2018, 03:35 PM #3 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Southern Oregon
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
KarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant future
Very Helpful Member

City: Southern Oregon
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
KarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant future

Thanks for the warning. I hope you recover quickly and uneventfully. Itís always a good idea to come up with preventative strategies.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:08 AM #4 (permalink)

City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Firefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of light
City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Firefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of light

Walking is just a controlled fall, one wrong move and you lose control and down you go.
Al
Old 04-06-2018, 08:56 AM #5 (permalink)

City: Iowa City
State: Iowa
Diagnosed: 11/2015
Statius@ is on a very distinguished road
City: Iowa City
State: Iowa
Diagnosed: 11/2015
Statius@ is on a very distinguished road

Glad the damage was no more serious. Thanks for the reminder. I've come to hate steps--even one--without railings or something to hold on to.

Ed
Old 04-06-2018, 11:46 AM #6 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute

I nearly fell last month. I was walking on the treadmill at my normal speed. I can only last 10 minutes without pain so I just do 10 minutes every morning before breakfast. Something happened to the speed and it went from 3.2 to over 5 quickly. I have no idea how I managed but I got my feet planted on the sides and was able to turn it off with the emergency line. When I use the treadmill, I hang on to the bar for dear life. I wish I could swing my arms but I can't take the risk.

Fortunately, the only times I've fallen since September 2016, were not really falls and I was able to catch myself on walls or land on my bed. These were careless acts on my part that could have been avoided.

Thank you for the reminders. I probably need some kind of medical alert system because I don't always carry my phone and I'm often alone.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:09 PM #7 (permalink)

City: taylorsvill
State: utah
Diagnosed: 01/2014
bigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to all
City: taylorsvill
State: utah
Diagnosed: 01/2014
bigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to all

You got lucky Marty.....I am always nursing wounds from falling. Just when I start healing, I fall again. I hate falling, it always ruins my day regardless of the significance of the injury.

I have developed a technique for minimizing damage. In many of my falls I have a split second to realize the need to tuck my head and try to land on my side or back to maximize surface hitting the deck. I learned this in Judo training back in the day.

The falls that I hate the most are the ones that happen fast and without warning. Those are when I fall forward and injure my knees and elbows.

Falling is just part of the dynamic for those who have not started using a chair.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:41 PM #8 (permalink)

City: Northern
State: Ca
Diagnosed: 06/2013
whereswaldo has a spectacular aura aboutwhereswaldo has a spectacular aura about
City: Northern
State: Ca
Diagnosed: 06/2013
whereswaldo has a spectacular aura aboutwhereswaldo has a spectacular aura about

Just remember.......Weebles wobbles, but PALS fall down.

Remember to keep the feet on the ground.
The backward fast falls are the worst.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:24 PM #9 (permalink)

City: Memphis
State: TN
Diagnosed: 11/2017
Romeosc is on a very distinguished road
City: Memphis
State: TN
Diagnosed: 11/2017
Romeosc is on a very distinguished road

Normally when I fall now, I just melt down in slow motion! Since I am 280#s wife has to use Hoyer lift to get me up!
Closed Thread

Tags
wrist