Old 03-18-2018, 05:57 AM #1 (permalink)

City: Espoo
State: Southern Finland
Diagnosed: 12/2012
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Inventor has a spectacular aura aboutInventor has a spectacular aura about
Default Mouse experiment

Once upon a time there was a research institute that was trying to develop a fuel for automobiles. Because cars are expensive, the institute had found a shortcut: every potential fuel was first tested on mice, and only those that showed positive results on mice, were subsequently tested on automobiles.

Gasoline was tested. Mice died of poisoning. The same thing happened with diesel fuel. Bioethanol messed up mice’s steering system. Mice that were given electricity kicked for a while but eventually went stiff.

Finally a breakthrough discovery was made: cheese. Mice fed with cheese functioned perfectly. The institute published a press release and several scientific papers were written. Money was raised to purchase 1000 automobiles and their tanks were filled with cheese.

The test produced disappointing results: the cars did not move at all. The institute published the results and started raising funds for further mouse experiments.

The story is, of course, pure fiction. Engineers are not quite that dumb.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:10 PM #2 (permalink)

City: Austin
State: Texas
Diagnosed: 11/2014
mpnatx is on a very distinguished roadmpnatx is on a very distinguished road
City: Austin
State: Texas
Diagnosed: 11/2014
mpnatx is on a very distinguished roadmpnatx is on a very distinguished road
Default Re: Mouse experiment

"Engineers are not quite that dumb"
You got that right!
Old 03-18-2018, 03:14 PM #3 (permalink)

Too bad ALS drug developers are not engineers.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:08 PM #4 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond repute
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond repute

I'm married to one, Marty and I'd happily argue with you about that depending on the day and the situation! He's still confounded by which dial turns on which element on the stove. He usually ends up turning on the wrong one and wondering why the pot isn't boiling after 15 minutes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShiftKicker For This Useful Post:
mpnatx (03-20-2018), wishmobbing (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 05:19 AM #5 (permalink)

I see this was moved to off topic. In spite of the satirical approach, this was meant as a serious criticism on how using mice in preclinical screening will mislead the drug development process. God knows how many effective ALS drugs have been scrubbed because they don't work on SOD1 mice.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:51 AM #6 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute

There are clearly issues with the mouse model.

Recently in one of my FB group someone excitedly reported some positive results from a mouse study. I could only think how nice for the mouse ( though not as they generally get “ sacrificed “ to compare them to the control group)

IPS technology has brought another dimension to the game and it is very welcome. I have to say mice still have a role.

I am c9 and it took a bit to get a workable c9 mouse. In the meantime ASO was successfully tested in IPS cells. The FDA insisted on a animal model study. That study indicated serious issues ( cancer and ironically neuro issues) with that technique. They have continued to work on it and a human trial is expected soon. In this case the combination seems to have resulted in a better potential treatment

The issue is harder with so called SALS of course. There isn’t a SALS mouse and of course SALS is not a single disease any more than FALS is.
Thanks from
Inventor (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 03:17 PM #7 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

Confused the hell outta me how this thread has jumped around the forum sections - an engineer was involved?
Old 03-19-2018, 04:08 PM #8 (permalink)

City: Stuttgart
State: Germany
Diagnosed: 07/2017
wishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to behold
City: Stuttgart
State: Germany
Diagnosed: 07/2017
wishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to behold

Thread fell through a mouse hole
Thanks from
affected (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 12:49 AM #9 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2016
Clearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to behold
Very Helpful Member
City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2016
Clearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to behold

How engineers see it...

Optimist: The glass is half full.
Pessimist: The glass is half empty.
Engineer: The glass is twice as large as it needs to be.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clearwater AL For This Useful Post:
affected (03-20-2018), mpnatx (03-20-2018), WendyWooG (03-24-2018), wishmobbing (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 03:17 AM #10 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Los Angeles
State: CA
Diagnosed: 05/2017
shieldsee is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: Los Angeles
State: CA
Diagnosed: 05/2017
shieldsee is on a distinguished road

Wickedly satirical... I love it!
Closed Thread

Tags
money, research, story