Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
For a while now I've had decreased range of motion in my neck and stiff neck. Lately when I try to look down (think chin to chest), for example to deal with my feeding tube, I get intense shoulder pain (back of my shoulder) and have to stop trying to look down within seconds. Why is my shoulder being affected by my neck problems?

I am seeing both OT and PT in a week's time and I feel like the list of concerns I want to share with them is getting longer and longer.

I have a torn rotator cuff and neck issues, too. I have no idea how or when I got them but I had them long before ALS. ALS made them much worse because of muscle wasting around my shoulder.

Gentle, very gentle massage helped me more than OT and PT.

Muscles and tendons that run the length of the back of the neck extend into the upper back and shoulder region. It’s all interconnected. People can get myofascial pain with trigger points causing pain in the upper back and shoulders with neck flexion.

In terms of how this might relate to ALS —- muscle weakness will cause other muscles to tighten in an effort to compensate. Also, decreased core strength affects posture, making us not stand up as straight, which in turn causes strain on the back of the neck.

You may benefit from massage, stretching, ROM exercises. Myofascial release using ice or Biofreeze can also help— this is all something a PT can help you with.

It’s the trapezius muscles that extend from the back of the neck down to the upper back and area of the shoulder blades.

Agree with all Karen mentioned will add that acupuncture helps me with neck and other areas.

This is one of the symptons that I had first mentioned to my pcp prior to testing/diagnosis. After noticeable wasting, it was determined that my opposite muscles were compensating for the reduced mass before it was able to be seen. I have recently ordered a brace that retracts my shoulder blades and provides some comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back