Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
sometimes this ALS causes some ridiculous moments and I can only laugh. Yesterday I was trying to enter a building on the hospital campus and the door was too heavy. I only got it open a few inches and I tried to squeeze through. Well it wasn't enough and it closed on me trapping me halfway through the doorway! I managed to struggle out and get free but the whole thing was so silly and I can't imagine what the people observing from inside the lobby must have thought!

I normally use those buttons that open the door for wheelchairs, but in this case I had pressed the button and it wasn't working.

Yikes! No one came to help? I hate public doorways. The revolving doors are the worst. I won't use them anymore. I used to wait until the coast was clear and then go through as I am too slow for the usual speed others go. One day ( also at a hospital) I was doing that but someone came running from the other direction slammed into the door and pushed so hard/ fast it knocked me over. Never ever again.

NIH has a cool revolving door that senses speed and stops if anyone touches the doors so no one can make it go faster than the slowest person and if you stumbled or fell it would stop

revolving doors scare me too! they always seem to be going way too fast!

Sometimes I find myself pushing a door and thinking it is locked. I have to lean into it and use my weight to open them. I have so much more empathy for the elderly now. I see how much muscle mass my 81-year old brother has lost and how he wobbles when he walks.

Even though this condo is "accessible" there is a master key to get into pools, gym, library, social room and other common areas. So I really won't be able to go to these places unattended when I'm confined to my chair unless I carry the key and hope that someone else is around.

Today I was fumbling through my wallet trying to get money out at Walgreens. The person behind me gave a big sigh. That made me nervous and I fumbled even more. Then I just started laughing and the cashier laughed, too.

thanks for sharing Kristina! I've had moments at which I can only laugh too--it's laugh or cry, and laughing is much easier on the soul, the brain cells, my CALS, everything :)
Here's a link to a silly moment involving a commode stuck to my butt (hope it's okay to post links to personal blogs).

Liz, what a funny story, I laughed til I cried!
I’ve subscribed to your blog, hope I can figure out how to access it. Your ALS story is mine exactly, I’m just a few months behind you. Right down to the use of the word atypical. And the thighs. Very comforting to read your words, thanks:)

Love the silly stories. Humor is definitely the best way to cope with this beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back