Old 11-03-2017, 06:43 PM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: The Villages
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 09/2017
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
billybob is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: The Villages
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 09/2017
billybob is on a distinguished road
Default Neck Spasms and Twitching

I have started having neck spasms occasionally during the day, along with occassional fasiculations. The spasms are, by far, worse than they are in my legs and forearms. Has anyone had the same neck spasms? Is it a precursor to developing speech and/or swallowing problems?
Old 11-04-2017, 02:46 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Neck Spasms and Twitching

Please see your clinic and particularly an OT to ensure you support your neck correctly, and you may try baclofen as well. They are quite common, many PALS experience spasms in muscles I'm sorry to report.

I think you are talking about the muscles that support the neck rather than bulbar issues.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:42 PM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud of
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud of

Have you tried magnesium and massage to help with spasms? Are you doing gentle stretches?

If you're worried about bulbar issues, you can request a swallow test.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:50 PM #4 (permalink)

City: Dartmouth
State: Nova Scotia
Diagnosed: 11/2015
Scotiaspirit is on a very distinguished road
City: Dartmouth
State: Nova Scotia
Diagnosed: 11/2015
Scotiaspirit is on a very distinguished road

I use a headmaster wire harness with padded velcro strap and padded chin rest collar; to help support my neck if sitting for longer periods, being a passenger in a car etc. If you have an OT(occupational therapist) they can likely fit you with one and for me, I have one on loan from our local ALS Society office.
Closed Thread

Tags
confused, problems, spasms, speech, swallowing, twitching