Diagnosis
11/2016
Country
us
State
sd
City
sioux falls
I am Bulbar Onset ALS and I decided to get the Botox shots in my salivary glands to help with the constant drooling. 2 days later, I could not swallow at all. I called my ALS doc and they set me up for an emergency feeding tube. 2 days after that I was in the hospital with pneumonia. Finally home after 4 days and trying to adjust to the feeding tube. Not so sure I would recommend the Botox shots to anyone!

Oh no! That's really awful. I am so sorry that happened- and for the unexpected need for a feeding tube. That must have been a frightening ordeal.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experience. We planned for my PALS to get them but changed our mind since his progression sped up.

it is really a last resort because we need saliva! I'm so very sorry this happened, thank you for putting it here so others can think about the possible issues.

My neurologist just recommended that I get botox shots for the saliva buildup. I'm already on a feeding tube, so swallowing isn't a concern, but pneumonia certainly is! Any idea why you came down with it? Was it related to the botox injections?

There is a bulbar-onset ALS patient with a blog who talks about her excess saliva and what she has tried to control it. See: alteringlifespections.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back