Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
IL
State
AA
City
hadarom, israel
Sorry to change the subject somewhat but I hope to get a trach but no vent.
Does this ever make sense?
I thought this way because:1. I cannot get benefits to pay for a night caregiver.2. it is illegal to detach a vent here in Israel. 3. I felt panic when I tried on a bipap mask once.
So if I have just a trach does it need to be suctioned at night?
When I can't breathe this way, off I go with the morphine!
Can anyone comment?

Mod note- Moved question to own thread.

betsy I'm not sure exactly what you mean?

A trach without a vent from my understanding is done for secretion management. I believe a bipap can be hooked up to it - is that what mean you want?

Suctioning at night would depend on what secretion issues you are having really I think.

Who helped you try a mask? Did you try it sitting up and watching a movie or something and just for 5 -10 minutes with someone there to reassure you? A lot of PALS find they need to ease into the mask this way even though some just take straight to it because it relieves their breathing. There are also quite a few different types of masks I believe.

As to whether it ever makes sense, not really. When you lose the ability to breathe strongly enough for yourself, having a hole in your throat doesn't force the air in as a machine does.

As Tillie says, try more masks and a gradual tolerance process. If you tried a full face mask, I would try a very light nasal mask instead as a start. You can see a large range at cpap dot com. Admittedly, with a trach, you will not need a mask but if you are thinking about a trach, you probably need BiPAP!

Best,
Laurie

That idea about watching a movie is a good one.

I freaked out all 5 times they tried to put a mask on me in bed.

Finally, I just lay the mask near my TV chair, put it on for a few minutes whenever I felt like it. Watched TV.

In a week, I had no problem with it and started to wear it to bed. Now it's all good.

I am still breathing fine but my progression has been fast and I am doing my advance directive now and trying to plan a fast, cheap, and comfortable death.Thank you all!
B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back