Old 07-16-2017, 07:07 PM #1 (permalink)

City: Stevenage
State: Hertfordshire
Diagnosed: 07/2016
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
WendyWooG is just really niceWendyWooG is just really niceWendyWooG is just really niceWendyWooG is just really niceWendyWooG is just really nice
WendyWooG is just really niceWendyWooG is just really niceWendyWooG is just really niceWendyWooG is just really niceWendyWooG is just really nice
Default In never rainsbut it pours

In need of a vent at the moment. Mostly because I am in the wrong and know it.

I have had a lump on my breast for a few months, my husband found out at the weekend and insisted on seeing the doctor, the doctor was very frank and said she thinks it's probably breast cancer and is trying to get a mammogram and biopsy scheduled quickly. We were all a tad shellshocked for a couple of days.

My close friends and family are a bit Cross with me and I feel guilty for upsetting them, but I kind of didn't want to know. From my point of view it doesn't change anything, the end game is still the same. I am not likely to agree to chemo or radiotherapy as I don't want to deal with side effects when my time is limited anyway.

So I have all the hassle of extra tests that I don't want but am going through because my family want me to. I hate putting them through more, and hate the fact that they want me to do it.

Feeling ratty and tearful not my usual way of dealing with stuff.

Thanks for letting me vent

Wendy xx
Old 07-16-2017, 07:18 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In never rainsbut it pours

Wendy I am very sorry. I understand completely I hope if it is cancer the doctors will be supportive of your choice and help your family to accept that you are opting for quality of life.

You are in my thoughts and prayers
Old 07-16-2017, 07:26 PM #3 (permalink)

Thank you Nikki, it's nice to know someone understands.......
Wx
Old 07-16-2017, 07:30 PM #4 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud of
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud of

Wendy- Sorry you are going through this. If it's not one thing, it's another, eh? Add in a loss of autonomy, where people are insisting (because they love and care about you) that you do things you're not entirely prepared or eager to do and it becomes quite burdensome. Once you get your tests and results, you'll be better able to make an informed decision and weigh the pros and cons of pursuing radical treatment, should you need it.

I wish you the best.

Fiona
Old 07-16-2017, 09:57 PM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In never rains but it pours

Sorry to hear this news, Wendy. You're in charge, so at whatever point you decline "curative" treatment, you might ask to be referred to the palliative care section at the hospital. There, they are used to hearing about and can help you preserve with maximum comfort the kind of lines you may wish to establish for what you will and will not do relative to your tumor, if indeed that's what it is.

Best,
Laurie
Old 07-16-2017, 10:11 PM #6 (permalink)

City: Yakima
State: Washington
Diagnosed: 06/2013
bkite has a spectacular aura aboutbkite has a spectacular aura aboutbkite has a spectacular aura about
City: Yakima
State: Washington
Diagnosed: 06/2013
bkite has a spectacular aura aboutbkite has a spectacular aura aboutbkite has a spectacular aura about

Dear Wendy
I would feel the same in your shoes. Unfortunately your family have some degree of denial of the ALS diagnosis from their reaction to the breast lump. Not that this makes you feel different about investigation of this new problem. Hopefully you can not resent them, but understand them, and help them find peace.
Bruce
Old 07-17-2017, 03:13 AM #7 (permalink)

Thank you all for your comments and support, I really appreciate it.

Love
Wendy
Old 07-17-2017, 03:38 AM #8 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

Hugs Wendy.

As a past CALS I get what you are saying and I feel I would be the same. But regardless I'm so strongly pro-choice. Your body - your choice. I do believe there is a layer where it's both partners that should discuss all aspects, and then family should discuss. But if this had been Chris I would have been supporting whatever he chose.

I can understand not bringing up the lump.

We get it, and it sucks, so you can only choose whatever is for you the better of a bad bunch of choices.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:53 AM #9 (permalink)

City: renick
State: wv.
Diagnosed: 02/2015
chally is a name known to allchally is a name known to allchally is a name known to allchally is a name known to allchally is a name known to allchally is a name known to all
City: renick
State: wv.
Diagnosed: 02/2015
chally is a name known to allchally is a name known to allchally is a name known to allchally is a name known to allchally is a name known to allchally is a name known to all

Sending you Wendy all the love and support. One day at a time.
Love ya
Chally
Old 07-17-2017, 08:30 AM #10 (permalink)

Thanks Tillie and Chally

Yep one day at a time x
Old 07-17-2017, 09:49 AM #11 (permalink)

City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Firefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really nice
City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Firefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really nice

Wendy, soldier on......soldier on and keep fighting.
All my wishes
Al
Old 07-17-2017, 01:21 PM #12 (permalink)

City: Austin
State: Texas
Diagnosed: 11/2014
mpnatx is on a very distinguished road
City: Austin
State: Texas
Diagnosed: 11/2014
mpnatx is on a very distinguished road

Wendy,
Yep, it's always something. I went through 37 radiation treatments for prostate cancer after I was diagnosed with ALS.
I was tasked with the decision to go through radiation or just let everything run it's course. The urologist said I would have about eight years before the cancer got me. It was a race!
I chose radiation because it was easy and painless.
The worst side effect I had was fatigue. But I was already fatigued so it didn't matter!
And, no more cancer!
Good luck Wendy!
Thanks from
WendyWooG (07-18-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 02:36 PM #13 (permalink)

City: South
State: New Jersey
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Jrzygrl is on a very distinguished roadJrzygrl is on a very distinguished road
City: South
State: New Jersey
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Jrzygrl is on a very distinguished roadJrzygrl is on a very distinguished road

Sending prayers and hugs, Wendy. I hope that you find peace with whatever decision you make.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:49 PM #14 (permalink)

City: Tucson
State: AZ
Diagnosed: 12/2013
azgirl is just really niceazgirl is just really niceazgirl is just really niceazgirl is just really niceazgirl is just really nice
City: Tucson
State: AZ
Diagnosed: 12/2013
azgirl is just really niceazgirl is just really niceazgirl is just really niceazgirl is just really niceazgirl is just really nice

Totally your call Wendy. For the record, I would not treat it either. I want to scream for yo, NOT FAIR a hundred times.

Love and hugs to you my fellow warrior.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:35 PM #15 (permalink)

City: Sandy Springs
State: Georgia
Diagnosed: 10/2010
frankb is just really nicefrankb is just really nicefrankb is just really nicefrankb is just really nice
City: Sandy Springs
State: Georgia
Diagnosed: 10/2010
frankb is just really nicefrankb is just really nicefrankb is just really nicefrankb is just really nice

So Sorry, Wendt, You are in our thoughts, Hugs, Hugs, Hugs.
Closed Thread

Tags
family, lump, tests, vent, wrong