Diagnosis
12/2015
Country
US
State
New Jersey
City
West Orange
How do you guys deal with this? It's a couple fingers on my right hand and my thumb on the left. The joints are swollen and hurt. I have a prescription for some OT, so I'm going to try that. Is this reversible at all?

My sister had some relief from contracture with massage taught to her caregiver. It took time persistence and patience. I don't remenber her having swelling though. Good luck

All my fingers are curled. Have to hook them on my pwc arm rest and pull back to open them up. I do this throughout the day. I was told along with ALS I have dyupatrain contracture. Sp it wrong !
Clean up under at the joints to prevent trouble later on.

Chally

It can be edema complicating the contractures. Get massage of the fingers/arm upward such that the fluid actually moves up, do some soaks, try a finger support and/or hand block that your fingers can lie against/curl around while extended, and change positions with it throughout the day.

The pain and swelling are definitely modifiable but may take some trial and error.

My toes are starting to "bend." I stretch them out at night and stretch my hands frequently throughout the day.

I was given some massage tips to tell my wife as well. Need to have her start doing that in the evenings. I'm also setting up an appointment with an occupational therapist and we'll see how that goes.

Heat, massage and stretching will help relieve the contractures temporarily, but have to be done frequently. It's important to keep the palms of the hand clean and dry to prevent fungal infections too.

A hand brace can really help - use massage to release the tension then apply the brace when you are relaxing for an hour or two.

I used to spend a lot of time massaging. There is video here of how I would do the hand massage for curling fingers. It's important to know that it is coming from the arm muscles wasting, so start by releasing the tension there to prevent pain or damage to the hand muscles by just trying to stretch them.

I have a splint for my one finger that wants to curl that my OT gave me. I had been taping my finger to a popsicle stick. My toes are curling under but i found these gel things on amazon that work great. I wear them at night, as well. They are called Dr. Fredericks three loop hammer toe gel set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back