Old 03-25-2017, 08:58 AM #16 (permalink)

City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Firefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of light
City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Firefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: talk to me about aspiration

I never thought about black pepper, but you are right.
Al
Old 03-25-2017, 01:36 PM #17 (permalink)

City: Vail
State: Colorado
Diagnosed: 07/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with another Motor Neuron Disease.
swalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to behold
City: Vail
State: Colorado
Diagnosed: 07/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with another Motor Neuron Disease.
swalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to behold

Black pepper is noticeable, but does not cause me serious problems. I like fresh ground black pepper so got an electric pepper mill. It starts grinding when I turn it over. I can't effectively manually grind pepper any more, but I can tip the pepper grinder upside down over my food.

I do drink most liquids with a straw. That helps me keep my chin tucked. I will keep using a straw as long as I can make a good seal with my lips.

I find the McDonalds straws to be the optimal diameter for most things. I can't find that diameter anywhere commercially, but if I do, I will stock up!

Steve
Old 03-25-2017, 05:46 PM #18 (permalink)

City: Pretty Much
State: Nowhere
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Jrzygrl is a glorious beacon of lightJrzygrl is a glorious beacon of lightJrzygrl is a glorious beacon of lightJrzygrl is a glorious beacon of lightJrzygrl is a glorious beacon of light
City: Pretty Much
State: Nowhere
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Jrzygrl is a glorious beacon of lightJrzygrl is a glorious beacon of lightJrzygrl is a glorious beacon of lightJrzygrl is a glorious beacon of lightJrzygrl is a glorious beacon of light

Steve - I found some good straws for my PALS on Amazon - 17" Long Flexible Neon Straws - Assorted Colors - Pack of 200. He uses straws to drink everything. The straws have a 5/16" diameter, so they good for a variety of drinks , even milkshakes. If they are too long, I just cut them down. I also wash them out and re-use them at times.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:10 PM #19 (permalink)

City: Hillsboro
State: OR
Diagnosed: 10/2016
KW1234 has a spectacular aura aboutKW1234 has a spectacular aura aboutKW1234 has a spectacular aura about
City: Hillsboro
State: OR
Diagnosed: 10/2016
KW1234 has a spectacular aura aboutKW1234 has a spectacular aura aboutKW1234 has a spectacular aura about

I buy my straws at Ikea. Big, sturdy, colorful and inexpensive!
Old 03-26-2017, 02:28 PM #20 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Harvard
State: MA
Diagnosed: 03/2016
RainyDay11 is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: Harvard
State: MA
Diagnosed: 03/2016
RainyDay11 is on a distinguished road

Yes, do the feeding tube as soon as you can. My mom lost 40 pounds over five months and since she has had the tube her weight has stabilized. Super easy. Usually a day surgery. It only takes about ten minutes to have a feeding tube meal four times a day. Best thing she ever did.

Like KW1234 above, the cough assist will be a great help, as well as a oral suction machine. Coughing fits have been managed to a minimum.

Hope this is of any help.
Closed Thread

Tags
feeding, feeding tube, pneumonia, problem, risk, saliva, swallowing