Diagnosis
06/2013
Country
US
State
NY
City
Hudson Valley
I sleep on my back, can't turn myself into bed. I had to be turned every 1 to 2 hours due to terrible pain in my tailbone area, like I was laying on a sharp rock. I got an alternating air mattress which helps with my tailbone pain but now I wake up every morning with a very stiff painful back. we switched one problem for another. ROM helps somewhat. I've tried different pressure settings but it doesn't help.

My question : the mattress I got through insurance is an off brand which sells for $50.00. Would a better quality mattress such as roho do a better job ? any thoughts? Thanks

Kathy

The alternating low pressure air mattress was our best gift for sleeping. Just like you describe, Kathy, I had to turn Darcey every 1 to 2 hours. Now she'd sleep through the night... but I don't let her. I'm now 63... and my bladder says I need to be up every 3 or 4 hours... whether I want to or not. When I finish in the bathroom, I stop by Darcey's hospital bed and do a couple of things. First, I pull the balls of her feet towards her knees. This is just enough to cause some stretching which feels good for her and has help eliminated cramping (along with Gabapentin). I then sit her up with the bed's control... raising the head of the bed to a fully "up" position. At this point, I reach behind her shoulders to her back and lean her forward... basically bending her at the waist. I do this about 3 or 4 times. I then put her pillow back behind her head and lay her back down. This process, for most nights, eliminates the worst of (if not all of) the back pain. I've also noted that there is a position in bed... not quite flat for the head... and a bit raised for the feet. If I sit her too upward, while it feels good for the moment, that position all night is a killer. I hope you're able to find the perfect routine to make your nights more pleasant as we have.

My best!

Jim

I should also add - most times she doesn't even wake. If she does wake, its probably because she's too hot or too cold and wants her electric blanket or mattress pad turned up or down.

Jim

Jim,
Thanks so much for your response! The bending the knee position is what helps the most in the morning, I'm sure it would be great to do during the night. I can see how sitting up would help too. I really hate to bother anyone at night, but my husband gets up at 4.30 for work. It should only take him a few minutes. He's tired tonight, I will ask him to try tomorrow night. I will try slightly elevating head of bed. Thanks again.

Kathy

Most PALS in a hospital-type bed should sleep with head slightly elevated and feet as well. It is definitely trial and error but worth it to find the sweet spot.

If you have back pain, it can stem from legs, esp. if your legs splay or the heel is under pressure (pressure boots and/or a thin foam belt to keep the hips aligned can help). Cushioning the underside of the knees may be needed also.

And/or it can come from shoulders/neck/arm, so using foam under elbows and forearms if needed and bending the arm to rest partly on the chest, the right pillow, etc. are all important.

Best,
Laurie

Also note that there is a "bend" point for the top portion in the bed (where it bends compared to the foot of the bed). When I put Darcey into bed (done with the sling), I have the head of the bed in a fully upright position. As I position her (still above the bed), I push on her chest so that she is pushed into upright part of the bed and hold her there as I lower her (with my other hand). This helps align her bendy parts to align with the bed's bendy parts. When she'd be placed too low, the bed's bend place would be aligned with her lower back. A night of having the bed try to bend her back where it doesn't want to bend made for very uncomfortable mornings.

My best!

Jim

Laurie,

I elevate the bottom of the bed slightly which bends under my knees. I have a pillow under my calves to float my heels. Head of bed is flat but will try elevating it tonight.

I'm not sure what you mean about foam bands for the hips. I sleep with my elbows bent and hands on my chest near my neck, holding on for dear life to my "panic button", a sort of portable doorbell that signals one of my sons if I need any thing. I was never afraid to be alone but that is one of the side effects of this disease.

Thanks for your help.

Kathy

Jim,

That's a good idea. We just started using the hoyer and have the bed flat. I will try having the head of the bed raised when they place me tonight. Thanks again.

Kathy

Kathy,

For people whose legs fall out of alignment (you may not be one), I meant a foam "belt" that goes around the hips to keep them in line. We had extra foam beneath to keep from chafing.

The VA ordered me a hi-tech air mattres called a Dolphin mattres. L sleep thru the night without needng to be turned. Lcan nolonger turn myself.

Greg,

I'm pretty convinced I'll be getting the Dolphin mattress when I go from my queen adjustable bed to a hospital bed. I already have severe back pain even though I sleep with a pillow under my knees and have full mobility. I usually turn on my right side and back to my back during the night but I am a back sleeper.

I'd really like to try it out before I buy but it doesn't look like they have that option. It was between the Dolphin mattress and the Pro Bed.

if my dolphin mattress rrotated i'd be in heaven.

Last edited:
Jim and Laurie,

I'm sending you virtual hugs : ) Have not had back pain the past few nights thanks to you. We slightly elevated the head of the bed which was much more comfortable, and my husband does quick ROM before he leaves for work. No more back pain!
It's tough being in pain when you can't shift your body to try and help yourself. And I really feel bad disturbing someone's sleep to help me, so I'm very thankful for your advice.

Kathy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back