Diagnosis
12/2015
Country
US
State
New Jersey
City
West Orange
Anyone else have teeth chattering going on? It's as if I were freezing, but I'm not. It seems to happen when I'm tired or have expended a lot of energy. And, of course, I saw my neurologist yesterday and totally forgot to ask him.

So, is this common? Does it get worse?

Yep. I get the same thing, and in the same situations. Jaw clonus is what I've heard it can be attributed to- an upper motor sign.

I already have jaw jerk (I think that's what the doc called it, so now one of my friends happily calls me jerkface), with trembling chin. It's not very visible if you're not looking for it, but the chattering...so annoying. I don't know whether to try to stifle it or just let it go and work itself out.

Yep it's clonus.

It was one of Chris's really early symptoms (he was bulbar onset). Quite incredible to see and it had his neurologist calling in lots of doctors and trainees to check it out as he could replicate it very easily with the reflex hammer.

Interestingly, the reflex hammer didn't bring it on. And they gave it a whack... Ouch. This has only popped up, I think, within the past few months. It's certainly become more frequent recently.

Reflex hammers should not be hit hard, particularly on the face! Sounds like poor technique.

I've had teeth chattering quite a few times, especially when I feel any stress. When I fell and sprained my ankle, I could barely talk to the ER guys because of this.

Hugs,
Deb

No chattering here but I do chew the hell out of my cheeks and lips at night. ��

I seem to get it when I'm cold and now that I think about it, under stressful situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back