Diagnosis
06/2013
Country
US
State
NY
City
Hudson Valley
I know how hard it is to get to the bathroom and I know we're not as active as we used to be but please remember we still need water.

I just spent 6 days in the hospital. Dehydration, acidosis, uti, electrolytes depleted. Was on iv the whole time. Had 2 meds plus magnesium and potassium via iv and potassium also orally. Not good for a PALS to be in bed so long.

I have been gradually drinking less due to bathroom issues. I pretty much feel like a fool because I know better. Well I have learned my lesson and will not let this happen again. Am tracking fluids and slowly increasing water intake.

Luckily the staff was very respectful of my condition and did things the way we asked, e.g. to turn me in bed I need both knees bent. My husband stayed the whole time.

Please learn a lesson from my experience. Increase water consumption slowly, even an ounce a day so you're not rushing to the bathroom. Track water consumption. I can't write anymore so I make notes on my phone.

The great thing is, looking back I had been feeling lethargic and down in the dumps, must've been dehydration. Thankfully feeling better now.

Kathy

It's a good reminder. Thanks for posting. I am so sorry you are finding yourself having to balance comfort and health with dignity. I am so glad you have experienced improvement.

Kathy K, sorry you went through all that. Nice of you to remind us so others don't. Can see how easy it would be to reduce a little at a time and end up there.

My PALS was always a huge water drinker, so as he quit drinking, I began adding water before and after feedings and medicine to the same level he used to drink (a gallon a day). It's a lot easier to address the results of all that water with our guys--I just keep a urinal handy in every room, and Laurie suggested the UriBag, which is wonderful for going out. Also got some disposable Travel Jons for purse and glove box.

But I bet there are some good options for our women PALS, too, who want to stay well hydrated but have a difficulty getting to the bathroom. ???

When Krissy was bedbound, she allowed the nurse to insert a catheter that drained into a bag below the bed. (This was after I failed to keep the female urinal right-side up. Ooops)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back