Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
WV
City
Sandyville
How many of you take the pneumonia and flu shots? I've never taken them and I can't help but wonder what affect it could have with ALS. This disease is so unpredictable and I do know for sure any medical procedure knocks us on our butts. Vaccines aren't the same but wonder how many of you guys take them.

Vince

I have had all the recommended pneumonia shots ( 2 pneumovax and a prevnar) and I always get the flu shot. My sister did also. Pneumonia or flu can kill us pretty easily. I hope the people around you get flu shots too since even if you get the shot it is not 100 percent protection and you need all the help you can get as we all do! I had already had the TDAP for my onetime dose

Ditto what Nikki said.

There are two pneumonia and a flu shot I get every year. I usually get them at clinic but I am over due cuz I haven't been to clinic for over a year.

The only reason I get the vaccines is because I have four young granddaughters that slobber on me on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Have been encouraged by my handlers at Emory Neurology to take both flu nd pneumonia shots and have been doing so for the past few years. No detrimental side effects so far.

Get the shots; I do.

Pneumonia can kill.

I've struggled with this. I'm entitled to them, as I'm considered "at risk" due to my MND diagnosis. However, I have not been sick since my initial symptoms were kickstarted by meningitis/flu two years ago. It's bizarre- everyone in my home could have a cold and cough all over me (kids are awful), but I just don't get sick from it. I've read mention of this strange immunity on other MND forums, but am not sure how much credence to give it.

Fiona

Steve never got them. My son and I are religious about the flu shot.

I've never had either. I haven't had a cold since 2001 even though many people and students around me have been sick.

Two years ago my brother got the flu shot and then got the flu three weeks later. He was very sick.

I understand the risk involved. I'm just not sure.

JW gets his 2 pneumonia and flu shot every year. This year his doc gave him a shingles shot as well. No adverse reactions to the shots since DX 20 years ago.

vw

Before being diagnosed I got bronchitis or pneumonia every year. When they were trying to figure out what I had before knowing they had me do the pneumonia shot to see how my body would respond to the antibodies. So last year was not an issue. It's a good question to ask. I am not sure what I want to do that way either.

What Nikki said, likewise. And getting flu shots every year improves your immunity overall, not necessarily only to circulating flu viruses. You may be lucky some years, or your whole life, but that won't protect you from a future, possibly devastating exposure.

The deaths each year fall into all age groups, and all kinds of health status. In our area, a 12-year old girl with only mild asthma died of flu earlier this year. You are not only protecting yourself; you still breathe/cough/sneeze near your family, friends, neighbors, strangers, some of them caring for you, and none of whom want a severe illness.

Also, in particular, since infants under 6 months are not eligible for the vaccine, you are protecting them as well.

Best,
Laurie

Chris had his first vaccines for flu etc after his ALS diagnosis. Of course it doesn't protect against aspiration pneumonia, only contagious ones, and only certain strains.

But since it is so serious, cutting down your odds of developing a pneumonia seems a wise choice to me.

chinadream, your profile says your interest is other, maybe you could do a thread with your own introduction post?

Great survey Vince, how can we make decisions if we don't ask questions.
Last year I got both the flu & pnemonia shots and I am glad I did. In March I had a show going on and more then half the cast was sick as hell with flu and some how I never got sick.
I do know that the flu shot doesn't always work as there are
different strains of flu. Good Luck Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back