Diagnosis
01/2016
Country
AUS
State
NSW
City
Armidale
I know many of you travel... How? I get daily help to shower and dress. I can't see how travel away from those supports would be 'a break' for anyone. Wherever I go... I'm still inside my body. Where's the fun in that? Am I missing something? I used to love travel. Tell me how?

Hey sleepy, I am gitting ready for trip out west to Yellowstone and I need all kinds of aide.
Can't do it alone so I asked my brother to be my cals for a week
He jumped at the opportunity as we haven't had much time tighter in 40 yrs. go figure! Ya gotta ask! There's good people out there, they just are waiting to be of help. My job is to let them cause I ain't sitting on the couch dying. Git out there girl!
Love ya chally

Sleepy,

I think it depends on your support team, your financial means, and how badly you want to do something or see someone. Our local chapter has a man who can only move from his neck up. He can still talk and eat. He and his wife have a van. They drive all over the State of Florida doing things. I don't know how they manage, but they do. I haven't asked for details about how he poops. I think they take very short trips (2 days or less) so they must know of accessible motels.

I can still walk and use my arms and hands. I still find it hard to travel. Maybe living near the ocean and loving the hot, Florida weather has something to do with it. I've always said even when I worked it felt like I was on vacation because the beach was so close.

My sister traveled a lot after diagnosis even after she became completely dependent. As Kim says, it depends on your desire and on your team. The more dependent you are and the more equipment you need the more difficult it is.

You need to book accessible accommodations and either bring or rent/ borrow equipment at your destination. It is considerably easier on everyone if you can travel with 2 able bodied adults though there are people here who travel with just their CALS

I would not rule out travel if you want to do it but everyone needs to know it is not going to be the same as it used it to be. Things take longer and you need more rest. That does not mean you can not have fun. I do not know if trains are a good option for you there. In the US some PALS prefer the train to flying

Sleepy, you will not have the same experience that you used to have. If you get stuck on that, you will probably not go. What interests you about travel? Seeing new places? Eating out? Just being somewhere else? Take someone with you and do what you can do.

Did you see the pics of Chally white water rafting? He has many very supportive friends who took him and he had a blast. The bigges thing I've realized is that when travel with a PALS it's easy for everything to be about them. If you can get someone to go who will just help when you need it without making a big issue of it, then you can focus on what is around you instead of on your situation.

Becky

Sorry for being so blunt...

Life's what you make of it.

Lets be real. A lot of the times it is very hard, because of how much help you will need and the reminders of how life use to be. I have traveled a good amount and rely heavily on the power chair I reconfigured. Without it most of it would have been impossible. I travel for my wife, she needs to be as normal as possible and she has always "lived" for vacations and traveling. I love to see her smile even if it for a short period of time.

I think cruises are the easiest in that everything is self contained in a smaller area, with handicap specific excursions for the port stops. The major cruise lines (Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and Princess) do a great job. Stay away from MSC they are not at all handicap friendly.

You will need help. There is no way to get around it. That said the joy that others get out of the travel can make it more than worth it.

Thx all. I 'floated' the idea of a cruise but he thinks he would be working non stop and it wouldn't be a break. Last thing I want is to make things harder. Guess my travelling days are done. I can't complain I have seen the sights and had delights on many foreign shores.

I wish he would reconsider. My wife relaxed more on the cruise than at any other time in the last two years. I felt more self reliant than at any time also. I was able to wheel up on deck have my coffee and enjoy the sites. Maybe one of the three day ones would be worth a try to show him that it is not so bad?

Have you a sister and/or girl friends you can go away with?

Sorry. Things are complicated by the fact that you have 2 small children of course. Traveling with little ones is challenging anyway. Would he do a weekend away if you could find someone to stay with the kids?

I think he might find that a little break if it were nearby and low key. Much as you love your children they can be an energy drain. What about a spa hotel and he could have a massage while you had a service that would not need him to transfer you like a facial or mani- pedi? Or maybe there would be an event you could attend together while staying somewhere? Concert or theatre?

Pete, you mention an aspect of cruising I'd not thought of. PALS being able to get around the ship on their own, without having to be driven there.

Sleepy, I'm sorry he feels that way. I'd love to take a cruise. No cooking, no cleaning, and no driving. I just need to make time to get those passports ....

We drove, in an accessible van, many different places in the US. We also flew.

It is a lot of work hauling everything into a hotel, packing ,unpacking,etc. But, when Steve progressed, we took a helper. They took care of moving steve and I schlepped or visa versa. We paid for their trip. It is exhausting without help but, if family could pitch in or a friend, you both would really enjoy it.

Hi,

Just wanted throw in my 2 cents about cruising. I agree with Pete, great way to travel.I just got back from a week long cruise to Alaska. I am still able to walk so that was helpful, however unable to eat, and weakened arms. My husband and I packed up my formula and accessories in the suitcase, and used a command hook for the gravity bag in the cabin No problems. We had a friend go with us, so my husband and her would go to dinner while I did my feedings. And sometimes I went with them and had ice cream! Had a blast!

Looking for the next cruise!

I just came back from my yearly trip to visit my girlfriends that I have known since grade school. My daughter came with me and I could not have done it without her. We had a great time, but it was exhausting for both of us and I will not do it again. Next year my friends will be coming to Lake Tahoe which is 15 minutes from my house.

Hugs,
Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back