Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Alexandria
I just got my BiPAP and have been using it for two days now -- 4 times per day, each a 30 minute session. When I take the mask off there is a strong floral talcum powder smell. There is no smell detectable on or in the machine itself so I'm scratching my head trying to figure how and why there is this smell. To make certain I was not imagining this, my spouse used the machine for 5 minutes. When he took the mask off, he too could smell this scent. Does anyone else have a similar issue or thoughts about the origination point of the scent? Unfortunately, I have a hyper sense of smell and it makes me gag. Thoughts? Bill

Never a dull moment, is there Bill?!!

Given it's a new mask, I wonder if the scent is embedded and can be washed out or neutralised w/ baking powder? The scent may be accentuated by humidity.
Clever to have your partner try it, at least you're not imaging it!

I have experienced that. The first thing I would do is wash/rinse the humidifier chamber w/ water+vinegar (not a strong concentration). Same with the hose. Also, make sure the humidifier isn't running out of water or coming close (shouldn't be in a half hour!) You might also use an unscented CPAP wipe on the mask. Make sure the exhalation valve is working on the mask (you can watch it flap if it is a silicone mask). Finally, that can be down to inadequate exhaust, so to speak, so check your data to see what Vt you are actually producing.

Best,
Laurie

Is there a chance you notice a normal household scent (cleaner, detergent) more when you take the mask off because the filters on the machine remove all ambient household scent when you're using it?

I noticed the air I was receiving through the machine was scentless, and when I removed the mask, I could smell my bedlinen SO much more than before (which is sad, because I love the smell of "bed"). I was desensitized to how my home smelled until I couldn't smell it through the machine because of its filters.

People are immune to the scents in their homes. My guess is that the mask covered up the smell of your home. I went house hunting last week and couldn't believe how terrible some houses smelled. When people come into my condo, they always say how fresh the air is. The reason it is fresh is that there are no chemicals used to clean it, I change the A/C filters often, my dog is bathed often, and all my furniture is leather so there are no odors absorbed into carpets (I have all tile) or furniture. Asthmatics breathe better in my home!

Invite someone into your house and see if they detect any fragrances.

Laurie, I have washed everything, but the scent is still there when I take the mask off. It is a floral talcum powder smell -- neither of which we use in the house. It is a smell I have never before smelled. The last thing you recommend is to see "what Vt you are actually producing." I don't know what this means. My BiPAP machine is a Philips Respironics BiPAP AVAPS System One. It was pre-set by the respiratory therapist, so I don't know what the setting are or how to find them. Bill

Turn the knob to select Setup. Hold down the knob and arrow key until you hear a beep. Go back to Setup and look at all the settings (you will need to scroll, possibly), then PM or post them here.

With the machine, do you have headaches, unrefreshing sleep and/or difficulty breathing? Is the humidity at a comfortable level?

One possible reason for that scent is because you are not expelling CO2 sufficiently, so I want to cover all the bases.

Thanks, Laurie. I just sent you a PM with the settings. Bill

I find if I get a new mask or new hose, there is a residual smell from the "plastic" material in the hoses until the tubes are used for a week or two and the smell will subside. Rather this is similar to your problem, I would not be sure, but wanted to share it with you.

Did you check the filter? If it's not a new filter perhaps the filter picked up something with an odor by the therapist when they were pre setting the machine or if it is not a brand new machine perhaps from a previous user. Just a thought.

vw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back