I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

faithandlove

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
06/2016
Country
US
State
NV
City
Reno
I got a borrowed motorized wheelchair, and I'm thrilled! I've banged up the woodwork on the island in the kitchen getting used to it, but I don't even care.

I can finally get around without being so tired. I took the dust mop and Swiffer and I went around the house and did a little cleaning. I was not able to anything before because of the chance of falling. The manual wheelchair took too much strength to move around.

My husband does not see a mess. My countertops can be full of crap (especially his coffee grounds) and he does not notice. I don't get upset with him because he really cannot help it and I'm not one to nag. I, however, see everything and could do nothing except dictate, and I will not do that. He's got enough to do and the mess can wait. BUT NOW I can help out. I have lost strength in my hands but only have a difficult time typing, buttoning and zipping, and picking up heavy items.

I didn't get the whole downstairs done yet, but I can do a little each day. I cleaned my stainless steel appliances, and that made me happy. I have a housekeeper, but only once per month.

I can now get outside on my own too, and enjoy the beautiful weather we are having. I love to watch the grandkids swim in the pool, and I will get out in the backyard more often. YEA I'm a happy PALS today.

Hugs,
Deb

Deb that is wonderful! Thank you for sharing too. Sometimes we resist things that would make our lives better and it is so good to hear you embracing this. ENJOY!

Deb that is the power of a PWC.

In my mind this is how we fight ALS. By using all the equipment and aids we can to enjoy life. Now some people think housework is not a way to enjoy life, but it's the achievement and ability to do something again that is the kicker here.

Do all you can in that chair now, while conserving the energy to get to enjoy things!

And as the huge advocate for not falling, I'm so glad you are able to do things safely :D

Deb..such a wonderful name. lol. You made me giggle with glee and that's hard to do today. I know how something like housecleaning can make you happy.

I am so happy that you got your power wheelchair, are using it and can enjoy life.

I got one a year ago. Love it. My world suddenly got bigger.
Vincent

COOLNESS....I am so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):)

Deb,
That's wonderful news! Now don't wear yourself out cleaning up the whole house. I'm so glad the PWC gave you the freedom to go in and out. Enjoy your family. Your positive attitude is uplifting! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING!!!

So glad to hear this!

My wheelchair has restored my freedom. So glad it has expanded your horizons as well.

Now we need to see some pictures:)

Steve

Yay Deb!! I'm so glad you have new found freedom. It sure has made a difference for me.
Enjoy!!

PWC's do make life easier. Interesting how little things like going outside and feeling the warmth of the sun or watching grand kids swimming make life better.

My PWC has several speeds. I found that using the slowest speed allows me to move around the house without banging into things.

Oh yeah, careful around the pool, PWC's aren't amphibious: in fact I think mine would make a pretty good anchor��

BK

I'll try to get some pictures soon, Steve.

I am a little speedster on this PWC. I feel like I'm on a bumper ride. Yesterday, I accidently pushed the control to move forward and pinned my foot/ankle into the refrigerator.. It hurt, but I laughed because it was also so funny.

You're right BK, I will have to be careful around the pool. It's just that I feel a need, a need for speed. What a story my grandchildren can tell their grandchildren about Grandma falling into the pool with her PWC. One of them cried when they thought I got ran over by a reindeer (the song). True story. Well, I will be careful.

Hugs,
Deb

When I first received my wheelchair I was told to always turn off the power when I was stopped. Always. Without exception.

I have since learned that they were right. When I forget to power down, I am usually reminded by someone or something hitting the joy stock and propelling me unexpectedly into an obstacle.

Power wheelchairs are very powerful and can inflict serious injury. Be sure to power down when you are stopped. I religiously do this about 10% of the time:) Do as I say and not as I do on this one.

Steve

Thanks Steve! I wiould do as you say, but you're not the boss of me (just kidding -I like to tease). I appreciate the advice and will turn it off from now on.

Hugs,
Deb

All right deb, now your ready to kick it!
Yeah got watch " bumping" the control stick,, I have had some crazy times doing just that.
Good on ya girl, so happy for ya ! Power to the chair! Right on
Love ya chally

Thanks Chally!

I like that "Power to the Chair".

Hugs,
Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back