Old 05-07-2016, 06:17 AM #1 (permalink)

City: renick
State: wv.
Diagnosed: 02/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
chally is a glorious beacon of lightchally is a glorious beacon of lightchally is a glorious beacon of lightchally is a glorious beacon of lightchally is a glorious beacon of light
chally is a glorious beacon of lightchally is a glorious beacon of lightchally is a glorious beacon of lightchally is a glorious beacon of lightchally is a glorious beacon of light
Default Oxygen

I know it's been said before on here that we don't really need more oxygen but to get the co2 out.
Now that hospic is helping me out the nurse want me to have oxygen here at the house for emergencies when I get short of breath while lying down she to save trips to ER.
I told her I didn't think I needed it here but she pretty much insisted. So more stuff in the corner. What the deal? Think they just do this to pad the bill to VA ? I don't really think this but what do any of you think the push for oxygen was for? Thanks sorry so long? Chally
Old 05-07-2016, 07:57 AM #2 (permalink)

City: Sandyville
State: WV
Diagnosed: 04/2015
BlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the rough
City: Sandyville
State: WV
Diagnosed: 04/2015
BlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Oxygen

Well Chally they aren't educated about ALS or they wouldn't suggest oxygen. Probably standard procedure for hospice to have it on hand so they can bill the VA for it. When I was in the hospital for my peg, they put me on oxygen 24/7. As soon as they left the room, I took it off.

Vince
Old 05-07-2016, 09:06 AM #3 (permalink)

City: Fort Wayne
State: Indiana
Diagnosed: 11/1985
Diane H is just really niceDiane H is just really niceDiane H is just really niceDiane H is just really nice
City: Fort Wayne
State: Indiana
Diagnosed: 11/1985
Diane H is just really niceDiane H is just really niceDiane H is just really niceDiane H is just really nice

You are so right! Very bad idea! Oxygen in the ER is risky enough but oxygen at home is a recipe for trouble. In the ER they can check to see if you are retaining CO2 before giving oxygen. I believe it is ignorance, not greed behind the push for oxygen.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:48 AM #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys, that what I thought so it'll sit in a corner . I am getting another pulmonary test a sap cause something is changing and I would like to be on top of it so no surprises. Love ya all chally
Old 05-07-2016, 06:38 PM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

It's so hard when they insist on this.

Yes, O2 on hand is standard hospice procedure and for nearly every other condition it would be the correct thing to do.

If it's easier to have it there and ignore it do, otherwise you could have your pulmonologist call them and explain after you have these next tests?
Old 05-07-2016, 06:42 PM #6 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Pit of hot
State: FL
gooseberry is a name known to allgooseberry is a name known to allgooseberry is a name known to allgooseberry is a name known to allgooseberry is a name known to allgooseberry is a name known to all
Extremely Helpful Member
City: Pit of hot
State: FL
gooseberry is a name known to allgooseberry is a name known to allgooseberry is a name known to allgooseberry is a name known to allgooseberry is a name known to allgooseberry is a name known to all

Steve had an oxygen concentrator with his bipap from the initial pulmo who said he didnt know how to help him. He gave the concentrator because steves o2 sats were in the high sixties, low 70s for big periods when sleeping. As soon as Steve saw a pulmo with als experience, the concentrator was gone and new bipap settings were initiated.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:46 AM #7 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant future
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant future

If you are starting to have breathing problems, the BiPAP is the way to go, not oxygen, agreed. Hospices usually have the most experience with cancer, CHF and COPD. Oxygen plays a role in each of these, but not for you.
Closed Thread

Tags
oxygen