Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lancaster
I have for sometime now noticed wasting in my left foot and more recently the right. I have also noticed an increasing tendency to walk on my toes, more often on the left foot. But I also do on my right foot. I cannot walk solely on my heals anymore.

What does this indicate? I am assuming that it is foot drop or something of the sort. Are there any rough timelines as to how long I can expect to be able to continue walking?

Interesting. Do you have a lot of spasticity? That might be making you toe walk. I have no idea about timeline. Do you have a tendency to trip? Usually with foot drop you should be getting an afo A forced toe walk would interfere. If it is spasticity to that degree you might consider enough baclofen to allow you to walk flat footed and use an afo. Too much relaxation might make you weak though

No I do not have a lot of spasticity just cramps. I do drag my feet and have "small" trips but no falls. I have a clinic visit in just over a month so they will probably try and recommend an AFO, they always push drugs, I always say no.

Hmm. I wonder why the toe walk then. Is your Achilles getting contracted maybe? Losing heel walk is unfortunately a result of weakness, But something must be forcing you up onto your toes. Good luck. Likely the pt will be able to tell in a flash. When I have had changes in gait my pt has always taken a quick look at my walk and said oh it is this...

Pete, can you flex and point your toes/foot?

I toe walked due to muscle contracture in my calf.

Watch your big toenail Pete, the base can be damaged from the extra pressure exerted on it.

Hey Pete, I would not wait another month to get the AF o

It will allow you to walk more safely for quite a while, at least mine did. That foot drop will lead to falls and we all know what that means. Can you call or email your doctor to request the AF oh

I walk on my toes and have built callouses on them. It has been 2-3 years and was very painful in the beginning, it started with blistering.

I have increasing spasticity and clonus in my upper and lower limbs. AFO's are in my future, but I wanna wait until I no longer can drive or ride my trikes. It would make it even more difficult with no flex in my ankles.

It definatley makes me more prone to falling. It has made it so I can't tolerate most of my shoes.

Last edited:
Steph, Yes I can Flex and point but range of motion is much less than it once was.

When I use to race I always ran on the toes, it is more efficient, so the blisters are not a problem it was just a change for me to walk this way and with the weakness it causes more thigh and calf cramps.

Just more ALS fun, and not knowing whats next. I am starting to suspect that my dream of dying from breathing failure prior to loosing the use of my hands and legs will not come true.

Yo Pete, sound like you better be getting braces for stability. My feet don't do anything so w/ o braces I am falling,tripping all over the place. Good luck! Chally

I asked Pete because Steve hadnt realized he couldnt flex his feet anymore. They wanted him in a pwc because it greatly increases your fall risk.

Pete,
I hope you can figure it out. Its very interesting how it is so different for all of us. Toe walking was one of the first things I lost the capability of being able to do. It was my first symptom when I wore high heels that I couldn't walk. I can't stand on my tip toes or heels even if holding on to something.
Good luck figuring it out. I agree with Nikki that I bet someone in PT could tell you very quickly what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back