Diagnosis
12/2015
Country
US
State
AL
City
huntsville
I have a service dog. I just bought a conversion van so I can ride my wheelchair up and into the van where it is locked into the passenger seat space. I then transfer over to the drivers chair. My dog used to ride in the passenger seat but does not now want to sit in the wheelchair. So looking for info about where your dog rides and how to you secure your dog. Thanks. Wendy

Hi Wendy
My folks have always owned big dogs that want to climb in the front , so they got a type of netting to keep them in the back. Otherwise I have heard of harnesses that you can put on the dog and secure them to the seat, a bit like a seat belt for humans. That way they're safer in a accident etc. I wish I could be of more help with a name or a brand .

Hi Mlock. What size is your dog? Often service dogs are large breed, but just to be sure, wanted to know the size of yours? Too large for a large basket type arrangement I'm guessing? What if you take a blanket he/she has been sleeping on and then place it on the w/c after you are out of it. Put a few treats there. Maybe once he finds the w/c less threatening he will stay there? I know this would be a lot of work for you, but what about going out to the van and just sit there with him in your w/c while you pet him, give him treats? Or, when you are in your home, somehow coax him up onto the w/c with the blankie there and a few treats. If you put the w/c next to where you are sitting and are able to coax him up on it, between petting/stroking him, praising him, the blanket and treats, maybe that would do the trick? Maybe all this is useless to you if you don't intend to have your dog sit up front in the w/c anymore. In that case, there are devices to keep him/her in the back as twitchy says! Foster & Smith veterinary supply and many others have various harnesses as well. (I have had dogs and cats my whole life and wouldn't have it any other way!) Good luck!!

Thanks you all. Finally decided to use a harness on the back seat. He is not thrilled about it but think he will get used to it.

I tried to get a service dog and the wait was to long (I probably wont be alive as long as it will take) and the requirements for people training where quite intense.

I tried to get a service dog and the wait was to long (I probably wont be alive as long as it will take) and the requirements for people training where quite intense.

Tripete
I know you were keen on a service dog but if you ever consider getting a different dog I highly recommend a Great Dane . I know they are massive but they are super intelligent and gentle . There was a recent article about the fact they are now training them as mobility assistant dogs.

My parents Dane that lives with us sensed I was sick in some way. He barks when I would fall to let them know. He is extremely gentle with me and super protective in a non vicious way. If the Labrador jumps on me he tells and pushes her off.

If my parents are out no matter who's here he lies at my door to protect me. If there's a storm, power outage or for example my niece yelling and screaming, he is straight downstairs to protect me and twice broke down the screen door to get to me .

My nieces baby fell off the bed and of course he barked at the door till they came :) just a thought for you

I had Alaskan Malamutes in the past and most recently a Siberian Husky that went everywhere including work with me, she was a great companion. when I was diagnosed I gave her a way. Siberians like Malamutes are very high energy dogs, she was my running partner. When I could no longer run with her she became board and destructive and it was not fair to her to have such a sedentary life. I wish now I had kept her we could go places in my chair together but at the time it was all very difficult.

I had Alaskan Malamutes in the past and most recently a Siberian Husky that went everywhere including work with me, she was a great companion. when I was diagnosed I gave her a way. Siberians like Malamutes are very high energy dogs, she was my running partner. When I could no longer run with her she became board and destructive and it was not fair to her to have such a sedentary life. I wish now I had kept her we could go places in my chair together but at the time it was all very difficult.

I was thinking the same thing when I got diagnosed. I did not think Harlee deserved to be subjected to my sedentary new life style. I thought about giving her to somebody that could walk her and had more energy to play with her. While she is the best companion dog I have ever had, she was starting to overwhelm me. She is the most hi- strung, hi-energy dog I have had.

I have not been able to safely walk her for about 2 years, and I feel super guilty most of the time cuz I can't provide her with more physical activity. I could not give her away, it would break my heart to loose her at this point in my life.

Attachments

• IMG_2569.jpg
    IMG_2569.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 162
" it would break my heart to loose her at this point in my life." This is how I feel Mark.

One of my goldens is regularly used as a prop to pull myself up off a chair, or as a steadying presence when standing. The other one would cause accidents he's so clumsy, but I've trained him to keep out of my way when I'm on the move now. I'm fortunate enough to have a long suffering teenaged son to take over the walking duties for the most part.

It would be a tough decision to send her on to somewhere better for her activity level, Pete, but you did it out of love for the dog. That makes you a pretty stand up guy.

Big Mark, if Harlee gives you joy, I'm glad you have kept her with you. Dogs are pretty darn smart and perceptive. Sure, maybe you can't give her the exercise you would like to, but you give her lots of attention I'm sure! We have a female Springer Spaniel, 6 years old. We live in a very rural area, surrounded by farm land and no major (paved) roads, so we are very fortunate that we can just open the door and let her rip around. She is the most energetic, frenetic dog I have ever been exposed to (I was raised with Irish Setters & Beagles, and we have had an English Setter, Cocker Spaniels, 2 Golden Retrievers and a Sheltie). Our Springer (Snickers) is a nutbag, but we love her!!

Pete, I'm sorry you had to give your dog away, and I really DO understand the torment you must have felt in doing that. As ShiftKicker says, you did it because you LOVED that dog, and wanted her to continue to have the exercise level she was accustomed to. Gutwrentching decision for an animal lover - I get it. I had to give away my dog (Irish Setter) when I was 15 because we were moving. I still remember the pain 'til this day.

ShiftKicker - Goldie's are amazing, huh? Along with all the confusion and fear with the suspected and then confirmed diagnosis of my husband's ALS, I had to have my precious, special, will NEVER have another dog like him, Goldie - Casey, put to sleep in late Sept/'15. He had cancer. I miss him very much. He was one of the 2 best dogs of my life. We were so blessed to have had him!

Tripete, I'm sorry you had to make such a heartbreaking decision , and you did what was best for the dog with love in your heart as others have said.

When first diagnosed I would say it was a race on who was going first, me, the black slab Riley, or my old pick- up truck with 3000,000 mi. Well Riley went first and we buried him on the farm he loved, next the truck hit 300,000 and so got retired as did my driving anything and so I guess I won so far. We're in town now and my other dog Gretel and I are adjusting to town living but go up to farm regularly. I love my dog and she knows what's up w/ me. Dogs sense the sickest person in the room and usually go to them to assist. Anyway sorry so long guess I needed to talk. Thanks chally

Some pictures of me and my little girl after a run in Feb 2014 she was 1 yr old.

Attachments

• DSC04958.jpg
    DSC04958.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC04962.jpg
    DSC04962.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 295
  • DSC04972.jpg
    DSC04972.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 282
Oh Pete, words fail me, just so beautiful xxxxxxxxx

Status