Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Sandy Springs
Have been taking A d v l pm (2 at bedtime) for pain relief in the rib area due to a recent fall (yep, I did it again). Discovered that, upon wakening, I can walk more comfortably and I can get food to my mouth more easily. Can't figure why this is, but I sure am enjoying it. So, directions say not to take it for more than 10 days. Any opinions?

It is just ibuprofen (slightly elevates bleed risk, esp. in frail elderly) + diphenhydramine, an old antihistamine that causes sleepiness (aka Benadryl). They don't want the elderly falling bc they can't handle the sedation, for example. Or people mixing it w/ recreational substances. More speculatively, if you have FTD, there could be additional risk to the brain or more confusion -- it is an emerging area of research. If you have breathing issues, it could worsen them.

if you aren't putting yourself at risk in these ways, that warning is not as relevant and you might carry on, while self-monitoring any potential risk. Likely you are sleeping more soundly and getting more rest.

I'm not entirely sure but it's a bit rough on the stomach (bleed/ulcer risk) and so they don't recommend just taking it day after day. Usually these meds are taken for some short term issue and that warning is also along the lines of - if pain persists see your doctor. Meaning, if you have some pain, take this, but if it doesn't clear up you should get it checked. So the 10 days may be more along those lines.

If you have no stomach issues previously just the night dose probably isn't too big an issue. I would suggest you check with your doctor, tell him/her the result you are getting from using and it and ask advice about continuing to take it nightly.

I'm so glad you are getting some relief!

My brother took regular Advil for 10 years....twice a day....sometimes three a day. He stopped this year and I know he is in more pain (he has RA.) I was always afraid of it for the heart risk but, lately, I've taken one with my biggest meal for back and intercoastal pain. I use Tylenol, too. It does bother my stomach if I use it for more than a week or so and I've been using the enteric coated.

What if you tried regular Advil with food during the day and see how that works? I'm in favor of doing whatever it takes to be more comfortable as long as it doesn't put you at risk for falls or other serious things.

I experienced a reduction in spasticity due to my use of diphenhydramine. I also used Advil for years back when I was playing sports, with no harm done. If it's helping your quality of life, I'd definitely keep it up- but make sure your doctor knows. Laurie is on to something with regards to likely getting a more restful sleep. Something that is invaluable.

I'm glad you've found something that's helping, even a little. That's great!

F

Thanks, everyone. Yes, it really increases my quality of sleep, no more 2:00 a.m. wakeups. Plus the fact that I can move around much better in early mornings. Will closely monitor possible side effects. Thanks again ! !

Glad you found something that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back