Diagnosis
01/2016
Country
US
State
Kansas
City
Middle America
I was diagnosed last month with limb onset . My question is, when I swallow, sometimes I have a feeling in my upper abdomen like I just hiccupped. Not as extreme as a hiccup, but close. I'm swallowing food okay...and now that I think of it, I don't think it necessarily happens when I'm actually swallowing FOOD, just swallowing. Just kind of like a mild jerking in my upper abdomen. Anybody have anything similar?

Thank you,
CarolSue

Have you had video fluroscopy swallowing tests yet?

I didn't experience what you described, but maybe others did.

Ells, no I haven't. My primary is still working on a referral for a second opinion at KU Med Center. I am guessing once I get set up with them (they are an ALS clinic) I will have that done.

You're probably right, it'll show you how your swallow is for different foods, perhaps you're swallowing air.

Hope your KU Med appt comes around soon.

I was diagnosed last month with limb onset . My question is, when I swallow, sometimes I have a feeling in my upper abdomen like I just hiccupped. Not as extreme as a hiccup, but close. I'm swallowing food okay...and now that I think of it, I don't think it necessarily happens when I'm actually swallowing FOOD, just swallowing. Just kind of like a mild jerking in my upper abdomen. Anybody have anything similar?

Thank you,
CarolSue

CarolSue, B blessed first off. I have the same problem, my problem is a muscle spasm of the closing valve. the Valve that closes the air passage when you swallow and opens when you breathe. I have an almost non noticeable spasm were my Value opens and closes involuntary once or even twice as I prepare to swallow, I do not choke just this misfire and I take in air, it's really noticeable when I put a liquid in my mouth, that's when the involuntary twitch is really noticeable.

I have no problems swallowing anything I wish to swallow I just have to think about each swallow before I do it. A thought out swallow, I have to use tongue and other muscles to move the object in my mouth until it is really to be swallowed, I have learned to be very patient and take me time eating and drinking.

Hope this helps I'm not a doctor or neurologist, just IT what do I know?

Osivo,

I'm assuming this is from the ALS?? or were you told it is something non related. Thank you!

Hi Carol Sue, I have bulbar involvement and along with speech problems I have challenges with swallowing. I usually only take one gulp at a time and sometimes seem to swallow air as well as liquid. I often burp up the air. To avoid choking I eat and drink slowly and avoid putting too much of either in my mouth at one time. Also, take extra care when drinking water, due to its viscosity it's easier to choke on.

Agree that plain water can cause choking/gagging more than other liquids, so that was the first thing Larry stopped drinking; plain milk was next. Temperature of liquids can play in, also viscosity/thickness/chunky vs. smoothness.

Osivo,

I'm assuming this is from the ALS?? or were you told it is something non related. Thank you!

Greetings Carol Sue,

I have ALS and was diagnosed in July 2015. I have Fasciculations or Muscle Twitching in my entire body, even in my tongue, and then come the muscle cramps all over my body, some nasty but most just a nuisance more than anything, my grandchildren think I'm playing monster when a cramp curls up my fingers into strange contortions.

But the point is my swallowing is really getting tricky, I have to take my time and be very aware of what's going on in my throat. But I thank God I only swallow air for now, and I am aware of the fact time is against me. :oops:

Be blessed Carol Sue, don't fight the disease, we can't win but take each new symptom and deal with it and make friends with it and master it, IT makes this battle not all too terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back