San Diego
Hi guys,

I'm not feeling real great today, so I probably shouldn't be
trying to write this now.
But it's been an ongoing problem and I at least wanted to begin to
Get it out there.

I have been going thru a 210 count box of Kleenex every day
for Months due to the Excess Saliva that collects
in my mouth due to great weakening of swallowing ability.

It's constant all day long that I have to let it almost drool into
The Kleenex, and wipe my mouth, due to my inability basically to spit anymore.

I was given a Suction Machine abt a month ago.
It truly doesn't seem to help very much, although the therapist/technician
Has gone over the process w me several times, and adjusted for a
higher pressure for suctioning.

At the same time I was given a Cough Assist.
More recently I was given a Nebulizer.

May I ask if anyone has any thoughts or ideas on this?

Thank you,
Laura.

There are several medications available that can reduce saliva. Each will require a couple of weeks to evaluate and change doses or medication to get a balance between dryer and too dry. Two procedures are also possible. Botox injections into some of the salivary glands will reduce saliva for about six months. Targeted radiation to some of the glands is painless and provides permanent saliva reduction. Discuss these options with your doctors.

Several things that might help. Pineapple juice naturally helps with this as does Tumeric. For the last several months, I used pineapple juice as a mixer for the meals that I blended up for the peg...and a tbsp of tumeric is easy to put in the blends as well. both will help dry you up. Also, prob cutting back on dairy products will to...gonna have to cut out the milk and icecream!dangit! As far as the suction machine...keep the adjustment screw turned all the way to the right...rightytighty...for maximum suck...and the thing on the end of the hose...the 'yonker' they call it technically...ahahah, what a name...!probably has a hole that has to be covered up for the sucking to happen. I put a piece of tape over that hole so that Tracy could use it by herself as long as she was able to turn the machine on and off and handle the hose/yonker by herself. Toward the latter stages, I had to do it for her...but still the same equipment.
Hope some of this helps.

tc

Sorry you're having a bad day Laura. Have you tried medication? I tried a few meds before finding the one which suited best. I don't need a suction machine as saliva is under control.

@tc - Have to agree with you on cutting out dairy.

Laura, I hope you are feeling better today. I have thought about you a lot today and wanted you to know how wonderful and strong you are. As usual I do not have advice as what to do and thank goodness so many others do. I can only assist with prayers and thoughts.

Thank you so much, each of you.
I haven't been on forum much lately,
But really appreciate your replies and
suggestions.
I've been a little worn out lately,
I'm sorry it's taken me a while to get bk to you.

Will write more soon.
Thanks,
Laura.

Any quick update from you is always great for us as we all think about you a lot.
The fatigue with ALS is just awful, we understand that completely xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back