Diagnosis
05/2015
Country
US
State
FL
City
Tallahassee
I called for a refill of Riluzole about a week ago to Publix Pharmacy. They said they had ordered it and would be there the next day. A week later they say that it is unavailable from the manufacturer. We were able to find some at a CVS so I'm fine for the next month. Has anyone heard of this problem? I know most pharmacies probably don't keep it in stock, but Publix's answer seems weird...but if true, is a big problem for a lot of people.

This has happened before a couple of years ago. This is the first I have heard recently. Hoping it is an isolated incident. There are several generic manufacturers though. Do you have a stock bottle you got from the pharmacy that told you of a shortage? Except for the one time I got an emergency refill from Walmart where they dispensed it into their container I have always got the unopened sealed bottle from the drug company so I can see the manufacturer. It would be nice to know who is having issues.

Both the FDA and the one of the pharmacist associations maintain lists of current shortages and riluzole is n't on them - at least not yet.

Riluzole is not on the FDA's current shortage list. There are five generic mfrs and most pharmacies don't have contracts w/ all of them so the idea of "unavailable from the mfr" doesn't mean from all five. Apotex, one of the mfrs, had its imports from Bangalore banned last yr due to violations. Poss your pharmacy was dealing with them and the supply chain ran down. The other mfrs are Sun, Mylan, Impax, Glenmark. You can always call a pharmacy and ask which contracts it holds for riluzole or the generic mfr for its major contracts if you want a specific option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back