Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
PA, No longer live in ME
City
Pocono's
Question for all, I'm having a marked increase in my lack of coordination. Do you believe this is due to loss of muscle strength or loss of muscle control.
Next subject having real bulbar issues, Nudextra and the other meds I've tried really come with an increase in spasticity and spasms, never mind how they make me feel. The issues include the regular EL issues but also anxiety. This is something I have never experienced before, I've always been a adept, overcome and preserve type of person. Dose anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the bulbar issue without using drugs?

Thanks
Mike

Hi mike, I have a loss of coordination too, I have no idea which muscle issue is the cause, just all part of the fun and games of this dreaded thing, whichever way you look at it.
I'm sad it perplexes you so, I'm hoping someone has a more definitive answer for you.
God bless, Janelle x

I hate being clumsy as I was always very agile and people even said graceful. I think we lose control as we lose strength so the answer is both I believe. I wish I had good non medication answers to your bulbar issues. My sister had to stop nuedexta which worked great for her. She gets partial relief from the EL with the dextromethorphan only

Hi Mike,

Nuedexta is essentially dextromethorphan with a quinine derivative added to keep it in your bloodstream longer. You can just use plain old OTC cough syrup that has it (and nothing else) and get some results possibly. It worked for me anyways.

As far as muscle control, I was, and still am to a lessor degree, a pretty athletic person and I think a lot of the coordination/spasticity issues stem from 1) a lack of strength, 2) a loss of the small muscles that are secondary or tertiary contributors to movement, and 3) the loss of fast twitch muscles that aid so much in movement.

I find working out helps a lot with anxiety (without over doing it of course). I also find that MMJ helps with the spasticity issues as well and I take ativan for fasciculations and anxiety.

I know you said non-drug solutions but the only other one I can think of besides working out is sex (which is a really good one...). I don't know if it's actually therapeutic or more just typical guy mindset ("la, la, la just got laid and I don't care about anything"). :)

EL for me is best controlled by mentally "swallowing the emotion". I try to breathe down into my stomach and actually push it out. That stops the physical manifestation until I can get the emotional under control.

HTH,
Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back