Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lancaster
I bought an Invacare P900 XDT folding power chair used last week for $100.00 it was almost new. It needed batteries and a charger which I got for under $200.00.

I got it because I can still walk and wanted something we could fold and put in our car (I cant buy a van yet), but for longer outings that would give me the freedom of a PWC. We are going on a cruise at the beginning of September and I thought it would be great for that.

The problem with it is that in order to fold it you need to remove the batteries from under the chair (45lbs) as you will see in the pictures. So I have begun my customization. I am putting the batteries under each armrest and running a new cable. This will allow it to be folded and pushed into smaller areas with the batteries still attached. The batteries will still be removable and then the holders will fold up against the armrest. I will post pictures when I am done.

Attachments

• P9000XDT_400.jpg
    P9000XDT_400.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 295
  • P9000XDT_500.jpg
    P9000XDT_500.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 313
Wow, Pete. What a great deal AND modification. At that price you can't miss and it will serve you until you need something more substantial.

Pete,

I absolutely love it when I see things like this. And especially when one takes something that is workable and turns it into something that is awesome. ALS may try to take one's body... but the mind gives up nothing! I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with... and I suspect this is just the beginning of other amazing accomplishments yet to come. VERY WELL DONE!

Jim

Pete this is awesome, please do post photos when you've done the conversion!

Peter, independence and freedom await.
We've been in perth for a few days and took my fold up travel scooter, Dougie. We would have been hotel bound without him.
Where are you cruising to? The chair will change your trip. I have been told that people with disabilities get priority getting off the ship for shore excursions. Gotta be some benefits.
God bless, Janelle x

We have a GREAT cruise planned. We (my wife and I) will fly to London, we will board the boat at Harwich, travel to France where we will go into Paris, then to Portland/Dorset England, then to Cork Ireland, then the Faro Islands, then Rakyivick Iceland then across the Atlantic to Nova Scotia, then to Boston US where we will catch a train or plane home.

We have been on two short cruises but this 13 nighter will be our longest. It is my last harah so to speak. We are both very excited. We will be out of communication from August 31 to September 18th. I am thankful for it as it is a gift from family and a wonderful one at that.

Awesome! ! Kind of doesn't do it justice! Your family sounds like they are a true blessing in your life.
I will have to note that so not to panic when you're not online.

Can't wait to see pics of the cruise!
God bless, Janelle x

Pete, I just got back from a cruise. My sister's MS was acting up, so she was in a wheelchair during boarding and disembarking, and the cruise ship had a scooter waiting for us in her cabin. She spent most of her time, both on and off ship, in the scooter.

Bring lots of single dollars for tipping because everyone is so nice and helpful and giving priority to the person in the wheelchair.

In fact, they had a special wheelchair with balloon tires ready for us on the beach!

Have fun and wishes for wonderful travel and enjoyment.

Pete, awesome plans for your chair!

Your cruise sounds amazing! We just returned from one and had a rented scooter waiting in our cabin when we first embarked that we left there at the end of the cruise. The Excursions desk offered lots of information about tours and spots that were and were not accessible. Looking forward to your pictures when you return!

Enjoy!

Great vision on the chair. Can't wait to see the after photo. Have a wonderful trip and post pictures when you return! Safe travels.

hey pete the chair idea sounds great! i always love making something work,unfortunately my hands don't work to good but i try anyway to tinker around and when i get frustrated i am learning to drop it. have a great time on your travels! later chally

OK Here it is. I have some wiring to do yet but I was cramping to bad to finish it. The new total width with the boxes on is 33 inches open and 21 inches closed. The boxes located like this added 6 inches to the width, but allowed me to close it without having to remove them. If I do remove the batteries I can then fold up my new battery trays and return to the original size. The batteries will be here late today and I will hopefully give it a go tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMAG0084.jpg
    IMAG0084.jpg
    916.8 KB · Views: 253
  • IMAG0085.jpg
    IMAG0085.jpg
    956.4 KB · Views: 301
  • IMAG0087.jpg
    IMAG0087.jpg
    905.6 KB · Views: 283
  • IMAG0088.jpg
    IMAG0088.jpg
    897.8 KB · Views: 279
  • IMAG0089.jpg
    IMAG0089.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 266
  • IMAG0092.jpg
    IMAG0092.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 286
  • IMAG0093.jpg
    IMAG0093.jpg
    971 KB · Views: 257
Amazing job Pete, thinking outside the square. Enjoy your new freedom.
Love Gem

Looks good. My travel scooter has the same issues...your idea has given me food for thought.
J x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back