Diagnosis
02/2014
Country
US
State
VT
City
Hartland Four Corners
I'm not sure where this should go so I apologize if it's in the wrong forum.

I am in the US, my dad is in the UK. I just heard this morning that he has pneumonia - he's in the hospital. Both mum & dad have repeatedly told the doctors that they want to take one day at a time and don't want to hear bad news. I totally understand this.

However, I am not sure if I should fly home right away, because of the pneumonia. I've scheduled a trip back in September, but I don't want to wait if it potentially means losing dad before I see him.

I can't talk to my mum about this and am at a bit of a loss. Unfortunately my funds are limited so flying back often is not possible.

At the end of the day...do people with ALS pull through pneumonia, or....

Thank you for any advice.

Lulu- so hard to be far away when there are health issues. I can only tell you MY experience- and I'm sure others have a better outcome. My hubby passed away from aspirating on a pill which turned into pneumonia and was gone within a week. With ALS you can't predict- if your dad was reasonably healthy with good respiratory status, normal weight, etc. he could bounce back. Mine was terribly underweight. If you are concerned, go now and forget the September trip. You don't want to have regrets JUST in case. I'll say a prayer for you all. Good luck. Donna

I am so sorry. It really depends on how his total condition is. If he is weak,emaciated and/ or has respiratory compromise then his ability to fight this is poor. If it is a mild case and he is not yet respiratory compromised and is well nourished then his chances are better. No one has a crystal ball unfortunately. My sister has advanced ALS and her breathing is poor. I doubt she could survive pneumonia. I am early stages without respiratory issues I think I could.

I understand the issues with UK travel. It is expensive but if you are in doubt I would go now

As the others have said, it's hard to tell. But if you go now and don't in September, I think it would be the wise move. I agree completely with Nikki that if you have any doubts go now. Best of luck to you.
Hollister

Thanks so much Hollister, Nikki & Donna. Looking into flights as we speak. Dad is very underweight (has a feeding tube) and has been in hospital with this for a week now (although only just diagnosed with pneumonia) so it sounds like I should go for sure.

Thank you. xxxx

Good decision. Safe travels.

I do not disagree with your going particularly if you can do September's visit in August (accomplish those goals). Perhaps talking with your dad's doctors will shed some light as to how things are faring. It might be good to meet with the doctor any way. Good luck and safe travels.
Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back