Diagnosis
01/2011
Country
CA
State
British Columbia
City
Vancouver
So, as the title suggests, I have been dealing with extreme boredom lately. My boy will be coming to to live with me/us this summer which should help, but right now the days are just ticking by way too slow.... what does everyone do to stay busy?

With speech-to-text software you could write your memoirs. Or add some excitement and make it a novel.

I am reading my way through my online library. I also belong to 2 online groups for interests totally unrelated to ALS. Love you all but it is good to hang out with " normal" people too. And my former profession required continuing education hours on an ongoing basis. I still do those. It is interesting and it stretches my brain a bit.

Well I can't really talk anymore, but I can type with my eyes.... now that would be a project. I did just play a game of solitaire which was a first on my tobii, even if it did take me 23 minutes to do.

Both hands gone Sean? I have one good hand, albeit my non dominant one...I'm learning to scrap book etc one handed...
You've got that PWC...how bout some daily road trips...got a dog?
It's the brain that needs to be kept stimulated I know...I'm not sure what to suggest...
Good luck and I really hope you get some fun, creative ideas to keep that boredom at bay.
Failing that you can come do my folding and ironing...

God bless, Janelle x

PS LOVE the pic of you and your son...a big framed one would be glorious for the wall...
J x

Both hands gone Sean? I have one good hand, albeit my non dominant one...I'm learning to scrap book etc one handed...
You've got that PWC...how bout some daily road trips...got a dog?
It's the brain that needs to be kept stimulated I know...I'm not sure what to suggest...
Good luck and I really hope you get some fun, creative ideas to keep that boredom at bay.
Failing that you can come do my folding and ironing...

God bless, Janelle x

Yep both hands gone, legs have held out the longest, still walking a bit. Bulbar has taken my speech, although my breathing is still fine. Really lost my appetite this last week too

Podcasts and audible books
Anna

>what does everyone do to stay busy?

netflix west wink, house, mash, star trek ... my tv chair has neck support :)

my #1 time waster is my bird feeder!
watch alot of movies, or series (a good series can run you 50 or 60 hours like game of thrones)
i keep a list of things i have done as i think of them.
online shopping is fun, my favourite, walmart clearance section.
email other pals that are in the same situation as you.
(PM your email to me and i will chat with you )
always stuff to do. i am on my Tobii I-15 all day by eyegaze and busy :)
cheers,
Casey

my #1 time waster is my bird feeder!
watch alot of movies, or series (a good series can run you 50 or 60 hours like game of thrones)
i keep a list of things i have done as i think of them.
online shopping is fun, my favourite, walmart clearance section.
email other pals that are in the same situation as you.
(PM your email to me and i will chat with you )
always stuff to do. i am on my Tobii I-15 all day by eyegaze and busy :)
cheers,
Casey

Haha yeah I have done many series this year, netflix and an app called show box. I think I am a bit burnt out on TV, but then again I don't think we have a whole lot of choice when it comes to entertainment. I am on a microsoft surfacepro 2 with a tobii pceyego....

Steve reads short article magazines or short chapter books. He likes carl hiassen books in particular and george pelecanos. Also janet evanovich and kathy reichs. These are mostly my influence. He watches Castle, soccer,hockey,baseball, the tour de france,.lots of stuff.

Also you could try podcasts

Just went for my third walk with sis and pup on my pwc, definitely going to have to make that part of the routine.

On youtube, Apple and education sites, a lot of free online university courses to be had, by top-flight faculty. Not just lectures, but zoom into the art, history, nature, etc. Master something you never did...then go out and see an example in person. With your eye gaze, you could paint, compose music, write fiction or a memoir, create a slide show of/for your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back