Diagnosis
01/2015
Country
CA
State
B.C.
City
Surrey
Should have paid more heed to Max's words. I am still able to take some steps, and so I "furniture walk" around our home, even though I have a walker, a cane and a wheel chair. But like most of us at this stage, my legs are weak and my balance poor. Overly confident, I walked without support from the bedroom to the couch, as I always do. My legs gave way and I fell and broke my foot. I know this can be bad for the progression of ALS. I share it as a warning to others to be extra careful when you're at this stage. It's not pleasant to needlessly break a bone. Use the mobility supports!
- Charlene

sorry to hear of your fall.

Charlene, I'm sorry your "lesson" had to be a broken bone! I hate that you never know when things will give out.

Sorry you have this to deal with now.

I hope all PALS reading this take note. Sadly falls can even be fatal, I've known PALS to receive extensive head injuries in falls.

This broken foot may well set you back and affect progression, so please go read Steve talking about his freedom with his pwc and have a smile at how equipment can add to your life, rather than subtract from what you can do xx

Charlene, I am so sorry to hear about your injury from the fall. Prayers for healing of the broken bone.

I will heed your warning.

Steve

Charlene, you stole my post! Steve fell today also. I took him for a haircut and he refused the pwc. Said he could walk from the wheelchair van into the shop. While he could walk to the shop, he couldn't get out of the van. He landed on his back, hit his head, and was pretty shaken. He "crawled" up me to stand And said I guess I should have taken the chair. Everything is moving, no blood, no head injury we can identify, no headaches,sleepiness,etc. I was so scared.

Please, do not do this to your cals. It is incredibly scary to see your loved one falling and feel so helpless.

BTW, I hope you recover quickly Charlene. Independence is so important!

Charlene,
Sorry to hear about your fall! Grumpy and I will be hoping for a quick recovery, broken bones are no fun at all!

Gooseberry,
Glad Steve is ok and hopefully he will listen about the power chair!

Hugs,
~Kaye

Falls were my worst nightmare and Chris had such reduced QOL from his many injuries.

Please everyone heed this thread!

So glad Steve had no serious injury, gosh I hope he remembers to keep heeding this!

I'm so sorry Charlene. I've fallen two times in the last two weeks, and each time took me by surprise. My legs just gave out. It really reinforced how much I need to use my walker or transport wheel chair. Please take care of yourself and your broken foot. Your kind and compassionate words on this forum matter to a lot of us!

Charlene! What a fright for you! Our independence gets taken from us slowly, we don't notice until it's too late! I know you have an awesome support group at home...and here. Take care of your self...you are in my prayers for the best recovery you can have.

Steph, what a scare! Sometimes I think the feeling of helplessness is worse than the actual fall. Was your Son Julien there? My kids are his age (13 & 11) and they seem to be affected the most by falls etc.
Hope Steve is ok.

You are all in my prayers, God's blessings, Janelle x

Charlene, sorry to hear of your fall and fracture. Jeanau, please take heed of the lesson -- I think the propensity to fall is the hardest thing to "feel" early on, because it is the most unexpected way of your muscles' not working.

The hardest part is seeing the furniture walking, wall walking, etc knowing its a sign of wanting to keep freedom and independence but its so dangerous.

Not using the walker, wheelchair, whatever tool it is just makes it stressful on your loved ones. It is the pals choice but it adds stress and fear where less could exist.

Steve so doesn't want to give up any independence he has,. I understand that. But , his legs are collapsing like a puppets randomly. Julien will tell him to use his tools and will "make" him. I don't carry so much weight ,lol.

Charlene are you in a boot cast, immobile, what set up did they give you for your foot?

I hope you take it easy, sit outside and enjoy the mornings and listen to the birds, and enjoy some relaxing. When Steve does this I leave him a cooler since he dislikes asking for things:)

Furniture walking and wall walking are so tempting, especially when you did it yesterday and got away with it. Surely you can do it today. It's only a few steps...

But all it takes to fall is one step.

I was walking to my car yesterday with my cane. I saw a woman and her small dog coming toward me. Suddenly the dog got nervous and started yapping. I moved to give the dog more space. Keeping an eye on the dog, I wasn't watching the sidewalk and didn't notice the crack and level change. Bang, my left ankle inverted and only my cane saved me from a bad spill. The worst thing was that I have promised my wife I would wear my ankle brace if I fell again--and I hate that thing.

As Max says, don't fall... and to me that means don't wall walk or furniture walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back