Diagnosis
5/2014
Country
US
State
FL
City
Tampa
Are you having this problem? What are you doing to stay upright? Steve is starting to have real issues with loer back weakness. He doesn't want to wear a brace. He says it is even harder to breathe.

Steph, Joe had the same problem, resistance to the neck brace. To solve it, he spent most of his time in a recliner in a slightly reclined position. The same in the power wheelchair. A power recliner is a necessity, as he couldn't use the handle on a regular recliner.

Tim had torso weakness early on as well. I tried different lumbar support belts that helped for a while, but he eventually felt that it also made it harder for him to breath. His power wheel chair really is the only thing that helped, as the seat is fitted to his torso with side support and most importantly it reclines.
Paulette

Gooseberry having the same issues here just not quite as bad as Steves. The fasicullations in the back, abdomen, neck, jaw, stomach .... and cramps. Neck wants to lean to one side "Egor style" but just keep dealing and pushing trough. It gets tough and somedays I wish the progression would speed up right to the end, but I know that is selfish, and so we just make the most of each day and work through it. I am sorry that I can offer no better advice.

Steve kind of half sits /reclines on the couch so his back and neck are supported. His pwc is with the van people while they install the lockin mechanism. I think he is going to be spending a lot of time in it.

>Steve kind of half sits /reclines on the couch so his back and neck are supported

me 2 with an airline neck pillow upside down

My torso is getting weaker, though is still strong enough to support me. My most comfortable chair is my wheelchair. I find the side supports in it to be amazingly effective. They look like they should be uncomfortable, but they are not at all.

It helps that I can tilt/recline the chair to just the right angle.

Steve

I am having more torso weakness, with inactivity it cannot be sustained. When I sit down my head wants to go to the right. Progression sucks, I don't like to talk about it much.....remember the boy that cried wolf story!
It is my opinion that staying as strong as possible, for as long as possible is in our best interest. I am not saying that everyone should push themselves like I do, but move around a little, as you can. Even standing or using a recumbent bike helps your core, not to mention what exercise does for you psychologically.

I'm afraid we're entering the torso phase here, too. Hubby just had his first experience with fallling over sideways while sitting on the edge of the bed. A chest strap has been ordered for his chair. What are the side supports?

Becky

Steves chair has cushions that come up around him some , they kind of hold him in place. He grabs the arm of the couch, my arm, locks his toes u der the table, etc to help himself sit up. But he refuses the hospital bed still.

Along with my Dad's core weakness, he has an issue getting comfortable in a seated position in most chairs: he complains of a pressure on the mid-upper section of his back that he says he almost feels in his throat. This pressure feeling makes it more difficult for him to breathe. He uses bolster pillows on his sides in an effort to reduce the pressure on his upper mid back.
Has anyone else heard of this or felt this?
My dad is waiting for his power chair to arrive. Meanwhile he has a loaner- but he is not using it- preferring to use the rollator, at, what looks to me, a huge energy expenditure. I have tried to tell him that the power chair will likely be more comfortable than a dining chair or his lazy boy recliner. But it is his choice.

My hubby just got his power recliner yesterday. He loves it. In a partial recline position it reduces the strain on the back, neck and shoulder muscles which makes him much more comfortable. When he sits on the couch I put a large cushion behind him, a small one in the small of his back and another one behind his head so that he can rest his neck. We have a neck brace but he says it is uncomfortable so only wears it for short periods of time and in the car. The neck weakness and weight of the head definitely seems to cause a lot of the back pain.

>Progression sucks, I don't like to talk about it much.

Ditto that! me 2!

i don't talk about it to much ether. i have to have a chair with arms or im gone. it really sucks. i can't setup or hold my head up can't do any thing right any more. why dose it put us through hell before it takes us.

>can't do any thing right any more. why dose it put us through hell before it takes us

i think it's a test :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back