Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
NY
City
Orient
My wife and I are both over 65 and take SS. We also care for her mother, 95 and Parkinsons, and lives with us. My wife has developed seizures in the last two months and is not well, pretty much confined to the house as these seizures render her unresponsive for as much as 3 hours. I am still working some to keep up income past SS but that is coming towards an end as it just isn't in my cards. More to the point, I need to be in two places at once and am wearing out.

Obviously some help, particularly financial help, would be welcome at this point. I'm getting the "not sure, let me check" type of answer or "forms are in the mail".

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

Tough situation. I am sorry. Is your MIL a vet or the widow of a vet? There is something called AId and Attendance if she is that she might qualify for
Depending on your income you might qualify for various assistance programs like fuel assistance SNAP etc. If any of you are on expensive medicines that insurance does not cover the individual pharmaceutical companies may have assistance programs. Some services may be available through your state's medicaid waiver program. Every state is different. Some states have property tax breaks for seniors. Check with ALSA MDA the local COA if you need equipment. Also the equivalent agencies for Parkinsons and whatever your wife's diagnosis is

Last edited:
Are you tapping into Medicare benefits to help care for your MIL? With Parkinsons at age 95 she's eligible for home health to do PT, OT, and ST. As long as she is receiving skilled care you can request an aid to to handle showering, feeding, personal care, etc. If you are not already doing this, it might help ease the physical burden a bit.

For yourself I would look into any state supplemental benefits. Mda offers assistance for als patients. I

>Mda offers assistance for als patients

alsa too?

Maybe try alsguardianangels.com. Seems they have private grant money to help those with ALS and limited income.

Ki would also check.at hospice thrift stores for.wheelchairs and dme. .you may be able to.get things quite reasonably. In fl, there is a lot to choose from.

steve gleason too

I am sorry to hear about your wife and MIL. It's not third party benefits, but assuming each of you has various contacts, FB friends, et.al., you (or a friend) could set up a campaign on gofundme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back