Diagnosis
07/2014
Country
US
State
CO
City
Vail
My wife and I have planned a few trips while I can still travel. The first was to the Grand Canyon. We spent a week on the road in our new-to-us wheelchair van. We had a great time! Here is a bit of a report on the trip.

We drove to Blanding, Utah, where we spent the first night. The next day we drove through Monument Valley (I never get tired of seeing that amazing place) and on to the Grand Canyon. We stayed at the Mather campground on the south rim. I was able to help set up camp a bit.

When we checked in, we asked if there was a place we could charge the power wheelchair. We were told no by the National Park Service personnel who run the campground. The camper services building is about 100 yards away and my wife checked there as well. It turns out the camper services is run by a concessionaire (Delaware North) rather than the National Park Services. The folks there were great (in many ways) and said that of course we could charge the chair there. What a relief.

After getting that sorted out we spent some time checking out the canyon and seeing just how accessible the rim paths were. It turns out they are very accessible, with a few exceptions. We experimented with loading the chair onto the shuttle buses the NPS runs there and everything worked out great.

Camping was fine. I still have sufficient mobility to get into and out of the tent, which was key. I really, really enjoyed it, despite the unusually stiff winds (10 to 20 MPH) and cold temperatures (low of 21F).

The next morning we went to pick up the wheelchair and discovered the van's wheelchair lift does not work after it is cold soaked. So we left the van there and I rode the wheelchair to the rim trail and we explored the rim from there. We repeated that for the next day.

On our last day, I dropped my wife off at a trailhead for her to do one of our favorite trails. I then drove to the end of Hermits Rest road (reserved for shuttle buses, but you can get a pass to drive it if you are disabled). I then spent a wonderful day taking pictures of the canyon in the changing light. I then picked my wife up from here hike and we returned to Pima Point on the Hermits Rest road so I could take sunset pictures. I have attached a panorama made with the last light hitting the canyon.

The next day we packed up and headed to Flagstaff, where we used to live. We visited with old friends and had a wonderful time. We then spent two days making it back home.

Overall the trip was a great success. Among other things, we became experts at the manual override on the wheelchair lift:) Now we just need to get the darned thing working reliably when it is cold!

I gave the chair a good workout, exhausting the batteries each day. Camping worked out great and it was wonderful to be outside so much. The south rim is very wheelchair friendly. I plan to return and spend some more time there.

I am looking forward to our next trip, which will be to Yellowstone in May!

Steve

Attachments

• Panorama Try ICE 1.JPG
    Panorama Try ICE 1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 352
Gday steve.
I have been a bit down after a doctors visit. ..your trip details and that BEAUTIFUL photo have lifted my spirits immeasurably. I'm thrilled you and your wife had a wonderful trip and now plan more! Looking forward to photos of said trip!
"One day" my husband Wayne and I would like to go to Niagara Falls. May have to incorporate the canyon as well. God bless, Janelle x

Great trip Steve.

I did the Grand Canyon last year after I was diagnosed. I have lived in AZ for 19 years and never had been there. This summer is Yosemite. Another incredible park. God willing the next summer is Hawaii or Alaskan cruise. To bad we put off all these trips until after diagnosis, but at least we get the opportunity to do these things. What a beautiful country we have here. I wish Australia was in the mix, but that is to long a flight.

Keep the positive outlook and enjoy life (family, friends, etc.) each and every day.
Doug

Glad you had such a wonderful trip. The picture is beautiful. Looking forward to seeing pic of your next adventure.

I was able to help set up camp a bit.
Steve

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some clause about you not being allowed to attempt that?

That photo, OMG it is simply stunning. Thank you so much for sharing both your report, which was a joy to read, and that photo with us.

Here's to wonderful memories in the making for you!

Loved reading the report of your trip, Steve. We are looking for a van now and think we will make Grand Canyon our first trip!

Your trip sounds wonderful...your picture is awe inspiring...thanks for sharing!

Oh Steve, I am so happy for you! what a wonderful memory! I so wish my husband could have done that!

What a wonderful trip! Thank you for sharing.

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing.

Your picture of the Grand Canyon is well, just grand! We also have come back from our adventure from Singapore, Cambodia, and W. Australia. Keep traveling and sharing pictures. Anna

Looks wonderful. We went to the south rim 3 yrs ago. Still planning on heading out to yellowstone and the badlands in early july...grand teton too.

>I am looking forward to our next trip, which will be to Yellowstone in May!

great shot!

It is a beautiful shot!

Steph are you driving? We drove in an RV out there about 12 years ago. it was amazing! are you talking about the badlands in SD? that is where we went--to Custer state park and Mt Rushmore before Yellowstone, and Grand Tetons after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back