Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Barrie
With a little phoning around I was able to get a loaner bipap from the company I ordered my permanent one. Why they didn't offer this when I was prescribed is beyond me, but the squeaky wheel..... Using it this evening I can't stop coughing up lots of crud from my lungs. Is this normal when first using a b-pap?
Vincent

Glad you got a loaner, Vincent. Unfortunately, ALS frequently requires being that wheel. My standard suggestion is to make sure you know how/when/why to adjust the settings. If you tell me what machine you have, I can help. Make sure everything is clean, the filter is new, and check the EPAP. Since you were on CPAP, the default algorithm is to set your EPAP at the last CPAP pressure, but depending on how much independent OSA or CSA you had before, that may not be the best thing. If they did set the EPAP >4 and closer to your CPAP pressure, you might try gradually dropping it. Also, look at that data (hopefully on screen) to see what your Vt and rate are, to make sure you're not being blasted or underventilated, and that your breathing is not faster or slower than what is comfortable for you. You can also tweak the trigger or poss cycle settings to get the rate and "sync" with the machine that minimizes coughing. But since it was your first night (I just saw this post), has it changed any?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back