Diagnosis
09/2012
Country
US
State
Florida
City
The Villages
I am awaiting approval of my ALS Claim in the St Petersburg VA office. Can I get scheduled for a VA ALS Clinic appointment before I get the claim approved? Will they start the process for a PWC and Van?

Thank you

You can get medical treatment from the VHA for ALS at any time, because you are a veteran.

The disability claim is a completely different matter, run by a completely different bureaucracy, the VBA.

Both the VARO at St Pete and the VAMC in Tampa know what they're doing. I highly recommend them.

The answer atsugi gave is correct. You need to have a primary care doctor, this can be at an outpatient va clinic close to you. They will refer you to james haley for an assessment. This is an inpatient stay of about four days. You will see a lot of providers. Fisher house is an on campus free lodging place that is available if there is space for your wife. It is a good idea to have someone with you during the day because there is no possible way to remember all you will be told. You will be measured for a pwc if they think you need it.

The auto grant paperwork is available online. You can apply anytime but you need to have the compensation piece completed. The auto grant also requires a driver rehab appointment which you get set up at your inpatient assessment.

We got the compensation finalized Dec.2014. Steve had a primary care appointment mid-January and inpatient assessment Feb 2-6,2015.

Working with Todd Jones out of the St. Pete, Fl regional pva office will give you the best results.727 319 7470

Agree with both posts above, use the PVA rep they are great and will help in ways you will not even have thought of

Mike

Was notified by my PVA rep that my compensation for ALS has been approved.....

Gooseberry......was the inpatient assessment scheduled automatically?

Once you go to your primary care va doctor and show them your compensation letter you will be referred. The medical and compensation systems dont talk to each other. If you arent getting health benes you can enroll online. You should also create an ebenefits account and health evet. Accounts.

You have to have the primary care visit before accessing the als team at james haley.

>You should also create an ebenefits account and health evet. Accounts.

Ditto that! thhen you will have secure msging too

Your VA social worker can also help you get things going. Don't wait- call and speak to the social worker for the VA hospital or get the PVA rep to get things rolling on the van, housing adaptation grant,etc. everything can take time so be proactive in getting it going. The VA is wonderful - but I was an almost full time secretary for my hubby to get things going and follow up. Assume you will goto Bill Haley in Tampa- they are great and will see that you have everything you need. A HISA grant was quick and easy- but the housing grant (although it was per approved!) took forever to get through the paperwork, bids, etc. the power wheelchair was another slow process item, as it is custom fitted. Good luck.

Should have added- the social worker is part of the ALS clinic (also referred to as the spinal cord injury part of the hospital. Whenever you try to get someone, be sure to tell them you have ALS- as you get expedited services! As they told us, people with ALS don't have time to wait!

Todd Jones, the pva rep I gave info for, is at the regional office and walks your paperwork down the hall to va people. Hisa grant person is
[email protected]. fax407 975 8127

Fax number goes straight to his computer

You will need a physical therapy appt to get measured for the chair. They did that during the assessment. It was ordered and took a total of 5 weeks. We had to know what chair Steve was getting before we could order a van.It only took 4-5 days for the van to be approved but we had to complete the driving rehab visit which was really more measuring for the van. You have to find the van dealers and work the process. Not hard but takes time

The sah grant only requires one bid for als. We got 3 contractors to come in just the same. Once you haveseen primary care they will order an in home inspection. PT comes out and meets immediate needs. The sah people also come out and do home inspection. While you wait for thereport, you can have contractors come out. I took really good notes during our visit. Then the contractors will wait for the report before submitting their estimates. You will also need to find a title company that will hand an escrow account for the monies. Chelsea title has a local office and will do it for us. Talked to seven or eight before I found them.

There is a lot of legwork on your part but you can start by going to the ha sticky. I think Mike put links to all the forms in it to save time. Also, be sure to apply for the free $10,000 in life insurance.

Fyi we use an outpatient clinic in zephyrhills for primary care. Might want to check and see if there is a local one for you. Makes life easier.

One last thing, if you send something to pva or va and don't hear anything, call. Todd always let's me know when he has gotten something within 48 hours. The va may take 4-5 business days.

Don't forget to check the Florida va benefits. You can file for a lifetime property tax exemption as long as you or your spouse lives in the property and isn't remarried. Disabled vet tags are $4 at the tax collector office. Anytime you transfer tags, at least in Pasco cty, it will always be $4. Comes in handy with the new van.

Later on, Florida will pay for tuition in college, up to a Bachelor's Degree. See the Florida State VA rep to get certified. The info fact sheet is at the Florida Dept of Education website. It's called the Scholarships for Children and Spouses of Deceased Veterans.

> Also, be sure to apply for the free $10,000 in life insurance.

and the $200k mtg life insurance - not free, tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back