Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
New England
City
Skowhegan
My mom has just been told she may have ALS and tho I see diff. forums here I thought this the place to ask about foods.

She coughs and chokes alot at mealtimes and sometimes when it's not eating involved but one day I gave her a taste of my homemade wine and it immediately rejected. Came right out.

It happend with a spicey food as well. She has even stopped using pepper.

Is this something that happens with the swallowing problems involved in ALS?

We are trying to bring ourselves to agree to a EMG but at 84 years of age I am having trouble with that one being done to my mom. So is she.

Neuro. can see it but wants that test. A lady called me from the local support ALS foundation and said it's good to get it if they insist to make a firm diagnosis for insurance reasons. Otherwise they may refuse things Doc. may order for her.

Do you have trouble with certain kinds of foods?

Kewanee

My husband had always LOVED spicy foods...the hotter the better! But when his swallowing difficulties began, that was one of the first things he had to give up. They simply would not go down anymore. To give him a little of the taste he had loved, I would use the blender to puree mild salsa with some sour cream. And he would eat that with small bites of chicken or steak.

Kathy

thomkat said:
My husband had always LOVED spicy foods...the hotter the better! But when his swallowing difficulties began, that was one of the first things he had to give up. They simply would not go down anymore. To give him a little of the taste he had loved, I would use the blender to puree mild salsa with some sour cream. And he would eat that with small bites of chicken or steak.

Kathy

What a good idea Kathy. Mom has always loved her Taco's and this should help there.
Fear many things getting harder to eat however, like lettuce.

I appreciate your response.

Kewanee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back