Diagnosis
10/2014
Country
CA
State
Quebec
City
Tiny town w/no stoplight!
Ron used to love brownies - the smell of them now turns him off and he can't even be in the same room after they've been baked. He still loves chocolate - lately he's been devouring HUGE Toblerone bars.

Do you have problems with smells, tastes ? What kinds - and not just food...?

Ron is also having issues with the smells from scented hairspray and scented drying sheets - I have to buy everything unscented now...

Issues?

So that being said, I wouldn't even be able to bake him some medical marijuana brownies
;-)

Try zucchini bread with MJ.

All food looks and smells good to me, but eating turns me off. I take all through the teat (tube).

Let's see you cockatiels...

My appetite comes and goes but smell/taste hasn't changed.

My appetite is nonexistent. I'm bloated after every tube feeding. No change in smell. Alex

My appetite has not changed, but I am trying to modify it. A few years back I would eat dinner at 7:30 or 8pm. If I do that now days, there is much suffering to be had. Also, I have always been a big eater, if I ate like that now it would surely kill me...but I still manage to carefully choke down more than I need. I find that I like more seasoned and savory food more than bland (taste has changed), and my craving of sweets is off the chart. Sense of smell has not changed.
This being said, I need to cut my calories and sweets down dramatically...if I get much fatter, I won't need a walker cause I will just be able to roll around myself.:oops:

Chris had no real change in smelling things, but I have heard from lots of CALS that it's really common. Can start suddenly too, and be the oddest things.

I know that I started to eat very bland stuff, and not cooking much once Chris was fully peg dependant as it was awful for him to smell food cooking when he wasn't going to be able to eat it ...

Chris had no real change in smelling things, but I have heard from lots of CALS that it's really common. Can start suddenly too, and be the oddest things.

Tillie

Tillie, I had to stop cooking in the kitchen while he was there since the smells AND the heat from the kitchen were choking him. He used to love pork chops and now he can't stand the smell or the taste. But he'll eat bacon with his eggs. I cook everything upstairs and feed him downstairs either in front of his computer or in his popup chair while watching TV.

>if I get much fatter, I won't need a walker cause I will just be able to roll around myself

:) conjures an image!

I know that I started to eat very bland stuff, and not cooking much once Chris was fully peg dependant as it was awful for him to smell food cooking when he wasn't going to be able to eat it ...

Tillie

Max actually barbeques and cooks for friends. Then watches them eat the food. I can't even fathom how he does that!

Culinary voyeurism...

Mark, Max is just one very twisted individual .... :twisted:

Chris became very sensitive to heat and cold in his mouth. I have to start by saying that he had been an 'iron mouth'. As a chef he could taste anything bubbling out of a pan. He would serve up meals that would make anyone else sit back for a few minutes before even starting to try to stir and cool, and he would be eating heartily.

After ALS he started to become more and more sensitive to heat and could only tolerate food rather like you the temperature would serve to a baby.

>Max actually barbeques and cooks for friends. Then watches them eat the food. I can't even fathom how he does that!

bbq next couple of weeks I hope -- want to do a lamb roastt :)

Attachments

• IMG_0780 (2).jpg
    IMG_0780 (2).jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0783 (2).jpg
    IMG_0783 (2).jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0786.JPG
    IMG_0786.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 521
Status
Not open for further replies.