Diagnosis
07/2014
Country
US
State
CO
City
Vail
I live at a ski resort (Vail) and am an avid skier. I have been trying to figure out a way to enjoy one of my favorite past times given the limitations of my mobility. I can still walk short distances and use my hands pretty well. I cannot raise my right arm and am starting to have problems with my left arm as well.

Fortunately, Vail has an adaptive ski program. I filled out all the forms and was accepted into the program. That took almost a month to accomplish. Well, today was my first day on the slopes!

They evaluated me and recommended that I use a biski. That is a chair with two skis attached along with outriggers to prevent me from tipping over. I was accompanied by two instructors and my wife. One of the instructors held onto tethers to keep me from going completely out of control.

I had a blast! We went down 4 runs, which was really about as much as I could handle. For those of you who know Vail, we did Ruders (blue run), Ramshorn (blue run), Northstar (black run), and Northwoods (blue run).

Here are links to a few pictures. This is my first time trying to link pictures in the forum, so bear with me if they don't work.

Zenfolio | Steven A. Walker | 2014 12 20 Skiing with Lori

I have a couple of short videos, but am not sure how to post them.

Some may think it looks like a dreary, drab, and cold day on the mountain. As a skier, I love those conditions. We had new snow and it was wonderful to my eyes:)

What an experience. I can hardly wait until the next time on the slopes (after the holidays).

Steve

Good for you! :)

wow Steve, thanks for sharing, that must have been so much fun!

Steve, Its what it is all about. Trying to figure out a way to safely do the things you love. Congratulations! I am so glad there are programs like this available. Wouldnt have thought to look for a skiiing one. Looks like a wonderful time! Thanks for sharing. Steph

Hi steve,
The ALS Association of Colorado has a ski day once a year to help raise money. You should check it out.

Patrick

Steve,
I absolutely love these pictures and that you were able to get out on the slopes with your wife! Fight on...take that ALS!

That is awesome. Way to live life.

Awesome! Love the pictures.

I used to love to ski. My sister lives in Denver, and we would go often. Vail, Snowmass, Keystone, and others. I used to enjoy night skiing at Keystone. It was beautiful.

Maybe there's hope for one last run for me!
Thanks for sharing and happy holidays,
Marty

Wonderful! You obviously have the outlook of a person who is not letting ALS rule your like. Love it!

Tracy

You look so very happy:)

I am glad I was able to share this experience with everyone. You are all right, I was having an absolutely great time! There was a wonderfulness about being able to slide over snow. We skied fast enough that we had to occasionally wait for my wife (a very good skier) to catch up.

It is snowing hard today (predicting up to 2 feet of new, fresh powder). Unfortunately, the Christmas crowd is here and I don't feel like I should "ski" with all of them around. So, my next opportunity will be after the holidays. I look forward to it.

For any that are interested in trying, the adaptive ski program at Vail is wonderful. I can't recommend them enough. Let me know if you are interested in details.

I think I discovered the (simple) trick to get the pictures to show up in my message. Here is a try with the images from the original post.

h298D90D

h540417C

hD946037

Steve

Well, apparently I don't know how to post pictures so they show up in the post rather than just linking to an external website. I'll work on that in future posts.

Here are links to a couple of short videos of me going down the hill in the bi ski. They were taken by the second adaptive instructor who was out with us and are a little shakey. Still, they give you a bit of an idea of what it was like.

Zenfolio | Steven A. Walker | 2014 12 20 Skiing with Lori | Video 7
Zenfolio | Steven A. Walker | 2014 12 20 Skiing with Lori | Video 8

Steve

Steve the photos and videos were spectacular. Wow! Beautiful doesn't describe the terrain. When the person shouts out left and right, are you having to participate in the turning? Forgot to say your smiles are worth a million bucks.

Last edited:
I am so happy for you. That is so awesome. I can't imagine myself even trying to ski. I'd break every bone in my body. lol Thanks for posting something positive and uplifting. Wishing you the best. Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back