Diagnosis
07/2014
Country
US
State
fl
City
Lady Lake
Anyone else experiencing lots of burping? I'm on a PEG tube and mostly don't have a problem but occasionally, I could have an entire day where I'm burping continuously and it's irritating! I don't know why this happens or if there's a way to stop it.

My husband still eats orally but there are days when I hook up the materials to flush his peg that a huge amount of gas escapes. He says he feels so much better after.

Thank you both for responding. I don't know how to get air out of the tube, but the Hospice nurse comes in 10 min. and guess what I'm going to ask her to do!

Also if you use a bipap some people swallow air into their stomach.

VA had my bipap set too high, and it pushed air into my stomach. I have very little gas and no burping now.

Hip hip hooray!

The nurse who changed my tube told me that I could vent the tube, now when I feel bloated, I put a empty syringe in the tube and press on my stomach, you would not believe the air that comes out, gives me relief.

Janie

I did learn early that you want to be sure to 'burp' your PALS before filling that syringe and opening the clamp ... yes Janie it can come out with quite a force hey!

How do you do the "burping" without having stomach contents shoot out of the tube like an oil well?

Usually when we hook up the tube to flush, I put a couple of kleenex over the top of the tube so anything that comes out erupts into those. Plus we flush between feedings when the stomach is more empty.

Neil be sitting only semi upright I found that helps a lot. Air should naturally rise above liquid, but if sitting completely upright the air may be above the stoma.

Nearly always it was only air coming out, maybe with a very fine spray. I got good at never pointing the tube towards either of us when opening the clamp.

We also needed a rule - no jokes whilst peg feeding ... a laughing PALS will certainly force stomach contents out at the CALS in a rush ... and that's no joke! :shock:

Ditto what Tillie said!

a laughing PALS will certainly force stomach contents out at the CALS in a rush ... and that's no joke!

Been there, done that, lol.

Janie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back