Diagnosis
05/2014
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Lansing
Hi! I am new to the forum. I am 76 rears old and am very thankful I,m not 46. I was diagnosed with ALS May 14 2014. I am a veteran and just found out that the VA considers ALS as 100% service related. I need information on how to go about applying for benefits. Any help will be much appreciated. I have seen the document "For Veterans with ALS" Should I contact the PAV before contacting the VA. When should I contact the County VA office. None of these places is local. Will I need to go To a VA medical center for treatment and evaluation, or can I still go to my ALS clinic?

Take your DD214 ( discharge form ) and your paperwork from the doctor showing your diagnosis to your pva rep. Mine handle everything from there. They filled out all the forms needed including a power of attorney to handle things. With in two weeks I received notice from the va that I had been approved. First check came at the end of the month it started in.
You can continue seeing your local clinic if you desire but that will be on your insurance. They will also schedule you to be seen by the different doctors at the va. I think there are some cases where they will approve for you to be seen by the regular public health folks like your clinic but think you have to show that the distance to va hospital is over a certain distance from home.
The va will provide everything you need, meds, equipment, med supplies such as wound pads, over the counter meds. Also will help you get a wheelchair van when you need one, and provide funding to make your home accessible

dalvin Thank you for your reply. I have no local PAV. Can this be done via mail?

I think if you call them they can send you all the correct forms.fill them out and mail them back. Maybe even be able to have them fill them out over the phone so once you get them you just sign and mail back along with copies of your dd214 and your diagnosis. After that, everything can be done over the phone. It might take a little longer doing it that way though.

Grr - mod

Try PVA dot org

Blaine, we live in grand ledge! My hubby did all his VA paperwork thru PVA - and all was done on the phone. They held our hand through the whole process! Your rep is: Stephanie Strickland, 313-471-3996. She has been a wonderful advocate, made sure we got upgrades in his benefits as he declined- and unfortunately, is now holding my hand through my getting getting survivors benefits and comp for his funeral. Good luck. You will be amazed at the help you will get thru the VA, but PVA is your first line of help. We feel so blessed that everything from his daily boost, all prescriptions, power wheelchair, converted van were supplied. We went to the Ann Arbor VA hospital for his medical needs. Donna

after PVA has completed paper work and submitted to VA and you get your VA claim, please contact Richard Theid on facebook ...tell him where you are at and what has been done....he has an inside track and has pulled some strings for others...SUCCESS

Blaine- reread your note. Your ALS clinic's report will be accepted by the VA. We originally went to the one in Grand Rapids. Which clinic do you attend? Anyhow, after he received his 100% service connected disabilit , began going to the VA both in Tampa, Fl and then Ann Arbor, Mi, because of all the assistance he got with getting things to make life easier.

Our pva rep submitted our paperwork for a compensation claim October 10. Today we had a meeting with a doctor for a.compensation evaluation even though a complete claim was submitted. She told us it would be another 30-90 days before we heard from the va about things. The va process take squite a bit of time in some regions. Be prepared for that. They told us to go next week to the eligibility office to request an als clinic appt. We might get one direct but might have to see primary care doc first. I guess it will be approved but the time frame for first doctor visit could be a few weeks also.

The PVA is your lifeline for VA paperwork and advice on benefits. Have you checked in with one of the Michigan ALS chapters? They will also be of tremendous assistance to you and will explain what programs are available and can provide contact information about PVA, ALS clinics, etc. It looks like the Grand Rapids ALS chapter is the nearest chapter to you. Their tel. No. Is 616.459.1900 (according to the ALS web site) and they might be able to provide info over the phone. However, there is nothing like a face-face meeting. Back to VA. There are a lot of benefits that you are missing. Please don't delay ! !

Thanks for the information Donna. I have an appointment with Rebecca Krish American Legion Accredited Veteran Service Officer tomorrow. If that doesn't work out I'll try Stephanie Strickland.

Thanks to all who replied to my post. I now feel I know enough to start the process.

Donna I have been going to the clinic in Grand Rapids. Did you stop going to the clinic after the VA approval?

Donna I have been going to the clinic in Grand Rapids. Did you stop going to the clinic after the VA approval?

Allow me to weigh in.

Every time we went to the VA ALS Clinic in Tampa, they hooked us up with more equipment, more benefits, and more ideas to improve QOL. It was very educational, too.

I would recommend the Paralyzed Veterans of America over the American Legion, simply because their members, leaders, and reps understand the paralysis problems better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back