Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Auburndale
How does ALS affect other health conditions? I have degenerative arthritis in my spine, thinning bones, Type 2 diabetes and a heart condition. Enough already! Any one else dealing with something like this?
Sheila

Hey Sheila, yes I too have multiple issues. Arthritis in several joints combined with the ALS. Seems the joint pain is more intense as the muscles waste. A weakening diaphragm added to emphazyma makes for harder, less efficient breathing. Believe ALS added to any other medical condition makes a bad situation even harder

My husband has osteoarthritis all over and diabetes. He has spasticity and severe atrophy of the muscles in his neck and left shoulder and that is also where some of his worst arthritis has been. Diabetes......hmmmm....he is diet controlled. Presented with glucose levels at 700 because that was as high as they could measure in er. Was on meds for 2 yrs, lost weight and walked 4/5 miles a day. He starts dropping weight, about 25 lbs, before diagnosis. Once diagnosed, I am told to make sure he eats well and healthy. He couldnt keep weight on and sugars were normal. Now I give him what he wants, try to balance protein and carbs so there isnt a crash of sugar levels but he hasnt had a blood sugar over 105 in the morning since we started this. He eats cookies, pie, cake, milk,yogurt,smoothies, regular food too. I dont limit anything. If he wants it, he gets it! He is also maintaining his weight, for the most part. He has lost a.total of 30 lbs in the last year but the smoothies have really helped. 2 greek yogurts, half and half, 1/8 cup sugar, frozen fruit like raspberries,strawberries,cherries, etc makes 2 20 oz cups. He drinks one when its made and the other the next day. He doesnt always want to eat so this is a.good alternative. Sometimes i use ice cream, cocoa, nutella, half and half. You can throw in peanut butter or whey protein .

Sheila, I've wondered too. Especially diabetes.

@Gooseberry, has your husband always been diet controlled? Mine just brought up the possibility of an insulin pump, but I'm wondering if the ALS kind of takes care of that need. ALS doc said PALS' metabolisms are very high, so they scorch through calories.

Anyone have any experience with and insulin pump and ALS?

Nope in the beginning he used metformin 750 mg twice a day and glucoride(not sure that is exactly right) Then his a1c dropped from 7.2to 5.2 and they were concerned it was too low. So they weaned him off the meds.

He actually struggles to keep weight on and we both just had blood work done. His a1c was 5.4 with no meds. If you saw what he eats, a dietician would cringe, but I do try to follow the proteins with carbs. It has been 3 years since he used meds.

Last year he would eat strawberry shortcake and have a big spike in the morning...120 or so. Now, 98-100. He justs burns the calories so fast

i have the same with the joint pain. some time back they wanted to replace my upper and lower joints. well i didn't go for it. i have been living with it till now. i don't know if i should of done it or not. now i hurt all the time and when they try to pick me up. my joints try to pull out of place. the last time they did this the pain was so bad i about blacked out.

Wow, that IS a huge drop, Gooseberry! Some sort of consolation that he can at least eat whatever he wants now!

Sounds like the insulin pump would not be the way to go at this point. Thank you so much for the response.

Since diagnosed only about 5 lbs or so. The rest was from symptom omset before we knew what we were dealing with. I eat so much healthier and min eis higher...go figure.

"Since diagnosed only about 5 lbs or so. The rest was from symptom omset before we knew what we were dealing with."

Oops, sorry -- I meant A1C drop. Good there's not been a huge weigh drop!

I, too, now have painful aches that I never had before. I'm wondering if it has to do with the position of the spine as well as the wasting of the muscles exposing nerves more?

for me it is frozen jionts ... rom imporyaant

We have that happening now Max. I use warm moist heat then massage to get some rom in steves left shoulder. Some days he can barely move it and its so painful...other days its a little better

the frozen joints are plain cruel.

heat, massage, rom, magnesium gels, all helped but the cause of course can't be addressed - the muscle wastage pulling the joints in tight.

I used to be so close to tears sometimes massaging Chris and feeling the tension. so cruel

>I used to be so close to tears sometimes massaging Chris and feeling the tension. so cruel

shoulders for me -- 1st left, now right ... not just that it hurts, it keeps on hurting .... what a whiner :-( ... outhers have it a lot worse!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back