Diagnosis
10/2011
Country
US
State
NC
City
Raleigh
So I'm taking a mental inventory of the incredible amount of support equipment I am receiving from the VA (for which I am grateful beyond description) and a question came to mind... what does my CALS do with all of this when I start my dirt nap?

By my estimation we'll have the following items that she will no longer need:
Van, PWC, lift in the garage & ramps outside the house, bi-pap and Trilogy, and countless other 'small' items.

Are these returned to the VA, can they be donated to needy PALS or ALSA?

Mind you, I'm not looking to pass this stuff on anytime soon but would like to add the disposition instructions to the very detailed "After Death" file I have created for my family.

Sell it or donate it. That van will nicely cover a new car for your CALS.

It's yours.

>That van will nicely cover a new car for your CALS.

yup, that's in my eol plan for Sandy.

Sure you had to sign a form that the PWC could be reclaimed by the VA. Wonder if they actually do it? Since these Permobils are custom fitted for the vet, doesn't seem likely they could pass them on.

I called my VAMC to see if they wanted the PWC back. They said it was traditional just to pass it on to someone else, so I gave it to the local Independent Living Center.

I sold my van at half price, thus making a profit and helping out someone else.

We never signed for anything, and nobody has called.

I actually saw a guy in a wheelchair one day, and I pulled over to ask him what I could do for him. I ended up installed a bathtub transfer chair in his bathroom.

I sold the hospital bed, hoyer lift, and shower wheelchair to our forum mates for the cost of shipping.

The VA told me that my PWC was mine. Absolutely no mention of a return.

you know this thread has helped me rethink my eol financials for Sandy -- I am going to arrange to donate all my VA stuff .... that matters more than the money!

Stu with ALS GUARDIAN ANGELS is the place to donate all equipment to, in my opinion.

It takes a bit of work to package up a wheelchair or a bed for shipping. Maybe $50 in wood alone and from 100 to 500 dollars in shipping. But if the charity of your choice wants the donation, they can find the money to hire a shipping company.

you know this thread has helped me rethink my eol financials for Sandy -- I am going to arrange to donate all my VA stuff .... that matters more than the money!

Max,
I am in agreement with you here. The local chapter can get easily enough that my bride won't have to worry with the packing/shipping details nor the expense. And I'd think this would be the quickest way to move it all out of the house and be done with it...

Stu does pay all shipping costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back