Diagnosis
07/2014
Country
US
State
fl
City
Lady Lake
My husband was diagnosed in July 2014 and already has frequent swallowing and choking episodes. I'm wondering if this will present a major problem if he has his teeth cleaned or other dental procedures. Has anyone out there been through this?

>I'm wondering if this will present a major problem if he has his teeth cleaned or other dental procedures. Has anyone out there been through this?

Sandy & I were just discussing this today. Last time, for a root canal, he did it standing up with me loaded on valium. worked fine as I don't remember a thing :).

I have been putting off getting dental work done.....the voices inside my head keep saying "ah don't worry about it, you only have a few years left". I keep thinking about the water spraying, and don't want to get choked.
I have to do something pretty quick, because it is starting to ache.

I remember back in the old days, the dentist used a "rubber dam" to prevent stuff from getting into the throat. Worked very well. But there are better things now.

You might have difficulty finding a dental office who will take a patient whose swallowing is compromised. However, there are people who do it. Dentists have developed procedures for dealing with paralyzed and stroke patients.

Applesos, with all due respect, why worry about teeth cleaning? The most important thing, in my very humble opinion and limited experience, is to clean out your PALS mouth to prevent trash from building up. Old food, bits of medications, and strange stuff can gather in the mouth of a person who can't use their tongue to sweep the mouth normally. Let us know how it goes.

My husband has bulbar ALS- swallowing is a real issue. He had his teeth cleaned last week and the only adjustment they needed to make was not using the water pick high pressure cleaner. Instead, the hygienist just cleaned the tartar the old fashioned way. Worked out fine. Good luck. Donna

I almost hate dentists as much as ALS -- well, probably not but both are hell on earth :-(

The dentist used a "rubber dam" to prevent stuff from getting into the throat.

that's what my dentist used when I broke a tooth

Old food, bits of medications, and strange stuff can gather in the mouth of a person who can't use their tongue to sweep the mouth normally

So true, my tongue won't go far on either side, can't clean my mouth, I swish with water and brush a few times a day

Janie

I would talk to the dentists in your area and find one who understands something of ALS and is used to working ALS, MS, Stroke patients etc

Most good dentists with experience can work around the issues. You just have to warn them of the saliva and aspiration issues.

>I almost hate dentists as much as ALS -- well, probably not but both are hell on earth
come on Max, you hate the FDA even more....

My husband had a cavity and I first called and talked to the dentist myself about his issues. the dentist was very understanding and said he would do what ever he could to make it easy on husband. if you communicate, they should work with you.

I've read all of your various responses and am relieved to hear that this doesn't have to be a huge problem as long as his dentist is forewarned and knows how to handle these difficulties. I wasn't even aware of the food particles, etc., that might be building up in his mouth. I'll watch for that and try to keep things clear and clean.
Thanks, gang. You're wonderful!:)

do you have an electric toothbrush? that is the best the thing to use. brush at least 2xs daily. we also have a tongue scraper for when he gets build up since he cannot swish and self clean the inside of his mouth. we also use a reach flosser for when he gets food stuck in his teeth. cant get very far back, but at least can get the front teeth. I also bought a little dental kit with a lighted mirror so I can get in there and check things out if he has any problems. Personally, I would only go to a dentist with him if there is a pressing problem. If your husband is still mobile and early in his disease--he should go ahead and get a cleaning now because it might be too hard down the road.

Cleaning is an optional procedure, therefore I don't do it. They say it takes only one aspiration event to cause pneumonia. A Hollywood dentist interviewed on tv recommended cocoanut oil in the mouth to avoid halitosis. A doc at VA recommends 3 tablespoons of cocoanut oil daily; something about ketones.

GB

I'm glad I got my PEG tube right after diagnosis. It greatly reduces the choking and aspirating events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back