Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
NY
City
Orient
I've been able to keep my weight up since I was diagnosed. Very lucky.

Dropped 10 pounds in 6 days.

Crap.

woa.

Ya need to get a handle on that! (like you didn't know)

I was referred to a Nutritionist by the VA. I dropped ~20 lbs since my diagnosed on 12/12. Not good. She pegged my calorie needs at from 2200 to 2600 per day. I'm 5'8" and 158 pounds, down from 5'9" (compressed disks) and 178.

The nutritionist estimated that I was deficit 200-600 calories a day. That's with (usually) having 3 meals a day!

The suggestion was a snack at 2:00 or 3:00 and another at 8:00 or 9:00.
"Snack" being things like:
- 1 cup oatmeal with milk, sugar, banana and raisins
- peanut and jelly sandwich
- 1 cup cottage cheese with 1 cup canned fruit in heavy syrup
- 1 cup turkey chili over a baked potato
and so on.

I was so full last night I coulda puked....

but, regardless, 10 lbs in 6 days is something to be very concerned about....

Greg those are the same types of things my husband had recommended to him. He eats a lot of things he thought were "off limits" or at least limited before. Ice cream, greek yogurt, smoothies, ribs, bbq, etc.

yep, incredible! and my poor wife is still trying to lose the weight gained by getting two shiny new bionic knees!

They also said to not shy away from margarine, butter, syrup, honey ...

very crap!

PALS lose muscle mass, but PALS also use up so much for energy for the smallest of tasks that they must pump in high calories all the time.

Finding out how to get the most calories in without bloating up with too much food is the trick.

Sometimes it can be just adding more cream or butter or peanut butter or something to a breakfast or smoothie you already take in can help, and snacks.

That is sure a sudden drop and scary to see it so fast.

>They also said to not shy away from margarine, butter, syrup, honey ...

Nutella+whole choc miilk+banana = 750 cals (mix double espresso and peanut butter for change)
fruit smoothie = 350 cals
gazpacho+bud lite lime = 300 cals
1,400x2=2,800cals

add 200-300 cals pinot grigio

= boring, but no weight loss

My dad is really thin and they told him he needs to lose weight because they don't want it in his stomach. I think they are plain crazy saying that.

>My dad is really thin and they told him he needs to lose weight because they don't want it in his stomach. I think they are plain crazy saying that.

this doesn't sound right -- is this medical advice or nursing home stuff? Is there an attending physician you can cosult?

Skipper, Max is right! All of our doctors, dietitians, etc. have emphasized the importance of keeping weight up! Have offered to give my hubby some of mine but--- he's not taking it! If your dad's neurologist is saying that, that is contrary to everything research says! Check it out! (Know you are concerned from afar, and that makes it harder!)

Definitely wrong Kim, and plain crazy is one thing, but dangerous to your father is another...

Is he taking this advice?

Tilie

I will ask my sister who told him for sure but dad has mentioned it for that last year and 1/2 that they were stressing not to gain weight because they don't want it in his mid-section. Luckily, he hasn't lost any. He said they wanted him to lose like 20 1bs. My dad is over 6 ft and only I think like at 16O if that. I think they are nuts!

>My dad is over 6 ft and only I think like at 16O if that.

sounds thin to me ... I'm 6'4" and up from 228 at diagnosed to 240 now, haven't eaten since feb. will somebody please eat a hotdog w/ relish & catsup for me?!?

How do you get your nutrients Max? You don't have a feeding tube do you?

>How do you get your nutrients Max? You don't have a feeding tube do you?

nope, still drinking (can't sip). Sandy's formula is:

Nutella+whole choc miilk+banana = 750 cals (mix double espresso and peanut butter for change)
fruit smoothie = 350 cals
gazpacho+bud lite lime = 300 cals
1,400x2=2,800cals

add 200-300 cals pinot grigio

= boring, but no weight loss

btw, Katrina, do you folks down under know of Nutella? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back