I have an exercise bike, but thought it was ill advised to use it ... should I go bac

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxEidswick

Legendary member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Pinehurst
I have an exercise bike, but thought it was ill advised to use it ... should I go back to it while I can?

tia,

Max

Controversial. I am told to exercise moderately as long as I fully recover in an hour or less. Recently read something that postulated a positive biochemical reaction from mild moderate exercise and the examples were treadmill or exercise bike. Will look for it

Max, all three docs in my clinic have told me if I can push the weight and muster the energy to continue...... and if it doesn't make me physically dysfunctional to keep going. For me it is a psychological issue, in that I feel like if I don't keep doing it.....I will become a complete couch potato and my decline will be accelerated. It is for sure kicken my butt to workout, but I will rest in my urn, I guess

thanks, Nikki

>Studies suggest that moderate aerobic exercise such as stationary bicycling or treadmilling might have the potential to help keep muscles and nerves healthy longer in people with ALS by increasing levels of many of these protective substances in the brain and spinal cord. What’s more, a moderate workout might even help fight the disease by boosting energy supplies, removing damaged proteins and reducing inflammation.

I will restart at 15-30 mins and see ...

I vote yes, Max, and my doctor agrees. Just be careful not to overdo it. I ride 30 minutes on light resistance. Really I prefer bicycling in the pool...I hang on noodle in deep end and bicycle with legs and other light aerobic moves for an hour daily. Who knows how much it really helps, but I BELIEVE it does, besides it helps mentally.

>but I will rest in my urn, I guess

:)

I get in the pool for a while and walk around each day. It's great also because it's easier than on land. It also seems to help with my swollen feet.

Tracy

>I get in the pool for a while and walk around each day. It's great also because it's easier than on land. It also seems to help with my swollen feet.

that is where Sandy does my Splish Splash :)

http://youtu.be/4KmKkV3ddAo

I have continued to exercise since day one...as stated don't over do it and be able to fully recover in short period of time

thanks, Jerry!

It seems it is resistance stuff that does the most damage, or wearing yourself out.

Gentle exercise bike work, means no resistance, and no impact stuff either. I think it is getting the amount that is right for you. Enough to keep circulation pumping, light cardio, but not enough to fatigue either muscles or cardio.

JMHO

If it is something you enjoy then continue, but sensibly. Realize that you have limits. Although walking was difficult , I could still ride a bicycle. I had to stop when one leg could not support my weight, I collapsed onto a parked car when I put one foot down at a stop sign. I had the strength to ride, but not the strength to stop.
Special note: I hate adding personnel stories because the details get repeated in the dihals as "evidence".

yes, I continue to ride at about 70% max regulary with no ill effects

@ seaside I KNOW, I could tell some little things but I always figure it will get 'that' section humming even worse...

But that was an important detail I think. Chris could if he chose pedal, but he couldn't weight bear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back