Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Tucson
Last night shortly after receiving some upsetting news, my whole lower body started shaking uncontrollably like bad muscle spasms(not the usual ones) that did not stop for over an hour. Also was shivering cold even though the room was 80 degrees and hot to others. Also I had possibly more physical activity than usual.
Almost called 911 but finally settled after about an hour.

Panic attack? Shock? Als related? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
-kay

>Panic attack? Shock? Als related? Any thoughts would be appreciated

Kay, a visit to your pcp would be sensible --- this sounds pretty scary!

Max

Scary indeed. Could have been stress / shock I suppose but I think I would call my neuro and then if they say to call your pcp. Stress of course makes anything neurological a thousand times worse. Hope whatever it is it is over for you!

Kay I can only agree, get it checked out. If it is stress you can start to find ways to deal with it better in another similar event.

Let us know please

I have also experienced the uncontrollable shivering. That was before the anti-anxiety medication, however, I still get shivering cold even in warm rooms, but that is fixed with blankets.

Kay, very similar to what happens to my husband so I believe it is ALS/neurological related. that was exactly what happen to my husband when he was first diagnosed. He was privately very worried about his symptoms but was not talking to me about them and had not seen a doctor. I started noticing things, and told him I was worried and that he needed to see a doctor and get a complete checkup after the holidays (a week before xmas, 2006). he stood up and had the exact reaction you had--so bad that I thought it was a stroke and called 911. had several more of these "episodes" over the next 2 months as he was diagnosed. every doctor has looked at us like we were crazy and never could tell us what it was. I decided it was a ALS panic/stress attack==the nerves are not working right and are easily excited.

if it had happen out of the blue I would be concerned, but the fact that you were emotionally upset at the time makes sense.

I get it often, always when I am nervous, anxious or mentally pre-occupied.
Anti-anxiety meds will help you control the "episodes".
Good news is, the muscles aren't dead, or they wouldn't move.
Keep positive,
Casey

Kay, you OK?

As good as can be expected. I think it was a panic attack that was magnified by my nervous system issues. Will check with my Dr when I get back from vacation. Trying to relax and enjoy the sounds of ocean. Pacific o is too cold to swim tho.

Thanks for all your replies-made me feel a little better

Thats interesting Kay, for years before my diagnosis when I got really upset, my hands would start shaking-I could never understand that-until now.

I had a similar thing a couple of days prior to my clinic visit.
Doc said that it could have been skipping one of my doses of Baclofen
I take 30 at a clip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back