Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Pinehurst
In the morning, when I first get up my throat is mostly clear. a couple of hours later a thick, gluey saliva forms in the back of my throat. today is the worst day so far ...

I thought it might be the chocolate milk so I stopped for two days. no change.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-----
Max - Sunday, July 20, 2014 3:50:13 PM
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

Max, I have the same issue except mine is like that even when I first wake up. In my case I think it's because I'm causing some of the water in it to evaporate as I'm now breathing mostly through my mouth as it's easier to get adequate air in and out. My lung function is only at 25, measured by both the resp tech at mcv and the pulmonologists at the va. Only thing I've found that seems to help is to suck on a piece of hard candy or cough drop to stimulate more saliva production as sipping on water has no affect.

>Only thing I've found that seems to help is to suck on a piece of hard candy or cough drop to stimulate more saliva production as sipping on water has no affect.

trying that now, will report back rsn :)

Dalvin you are a bloody genius -- it helped w/in minutes!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you ...

My husband has been drinking cranberry juice or been sucking on frozen fruit bars like outshine or edys. They really help him.

Dalvin you are a bloody genius -- it helped w/in minutes!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you ...

Your welcome, Max. As the saying goes, we aim to please:):)

What a wonderful Forum this is. Helping one another, caring about each other and making wonderful friends along the way. I have found more suggestions, tricks and ideas than any ALS clinic can provide. We pals and CALS are experiencing this terrible disease first hand. Way to go Dalvin!

Debbie

>Way to go Dalvin!

Ditto that!

Hi Max, ice chips help me. Do you get a runny nose with that too?

Wishing you the best
Mary Ellen

>Do you get a runny nose with that too?

hi, Mary Ellen -- sometimes, but not always ... I must admit, my sneezes are explosive, messy affairs :)

The cough drops that we have found best are the Luden's [wild cherry for us]. They have pectin, which not all lozenges do and come in sugar free versions for diabetics.
Agreed, plain water can be counterproductive but carbonated drinks, lemonade/limeade can help.
Also, for those of us w/ dry summers, make sure your BiPAP has the right humidification setting...esp. if your A/C runs at night.

I have been taking claritin D 24 hr while I can still swallow pills-that helps me breathe with my mouth closed

For me, they issue is less about the sinuses and more about the condition of my diaphragm. At 25 percent function, I just don't have the strength to pull an adequate amount of air through my nose, no matter how clear it might be

Thanks guys...same problem here

a Tongue scrapper can help get the glob off your tongue.

last time my husband was having a choking/coughing fit I gave him warm water with honey and lemon. it helped cut the mucus and thin it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back