Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
Minnestota
City
Woodbury
I am constantly drooling and swallowing and I can go though a roll of paper towels just watching Netflix. But when I lie down it all goes away. I read a post where somebody said to take a does of a Benelyn cough medicine and I didn't see Benelyn on the label I took it anyway. Does anybody have a better way to deal with excess saliva?

My lips are weak and often I have to push food in my mouth because my lips don't close around the fork and I have to tip my head to the side to get the food under my teeth since my tongue is to weak to push it there.

I am new to the list and will gladly accept all the help and advice I can get

Sandy in FL

We were doing cough syrup too, just got a script for Amitriptyline, an antidepressant I read about here actually that's supposed to help w the saliva, pain and sleep. Here's hoping!

there was another script that is supposed to help as well but I can"t find the thread/post....anyone?

Tiny is right....the amitriptyline could help you out and it helps you sleep if taken at bedtime.
I might add that Neudexta has also cut my salivation...but I don't like the way it makes me feel from a psychological standpoint.
My lower lip has lost a lot of muscle tone and I have to watch that I don't drool...

thank you Mark, that was what I was looking for. needed the info to pass on to someone. THANKS!

>We were doing cough syrup too, just got a script for Amitriptyline, an antidepressant I read about here actually that's supposed to help w the saliva, pain and sleep. Here's hoping

I think that's one of the things that Sandy gives to me in my daily collection out crap

Tiny is right....the amitriptyline could help you out and it helps you sleep if taken at bedtime.
I might add that Neudexta has also cut my salivation...but I don't like the way it makes me feel from a psychological standpoint.

As in? depression? foggy? weepy?

As in? depression? foggy? weepy?

More paranoid.....a little foggy. The only thing I can compare it to is narcotic use...back in my partying days. It's almost like I am going so fast, but can't get off my butt to do anything. I think it has helped my emotional lability, but I am also more irritable and find myself in isolation more.
I may end up stopping the Nuedexta if I can't adjust in time.

wow..last thing anyone with ALS needs is more isolation!

wife uses dramamine-low drowsy formula--- does help with saliva

My PALS started taking Glycopyrrolate (generic for Robinul), 1 mg, tablets 3 times a day, about 3 three months ago and it has reduced the excessive saliva.

Mark before stopping the Nuedexta maybe you could cut your dosage and work your way up. Helped my husband's EL, and he did n't take the full dose either. to tired from it.

I take both amitriptyline and Mucinex. That keeps the saliva pretty much at bay. For thick mucous I chew on papaya enzymes. The other thing amitriptyline does you got it is reduce peripheral neuropathy. And it is a darn good sleeping pill. But everybody's answer I think it's going to be different. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back