Diagnosis
09/2013
Country
US
State
TX
City
Acuff
What happens when you go to get evaluated for a power chair with a PT? What will they have me do? I'm going to get one next Wednesday.

Tracy

Deep in the "hot" of Texas

I'm not sure if there would be real differences Tracy because we always had these evaluations done by an OT?

She would start by observing how Chris could (or couldn't) do things, how I assisted and what his progression was doing. We had the same OT all the way through, so she could quickly assess the changes in him each time she came.

Then she would talk about the type of needs, and the appropriate equipment. Unfortunately we were stuck using loan closet equipment, which means they weren't really able to be adapted to his needs entirely.

Once the equipment arrived she would be there to make adjustments, teach him how to use it safely etc.

We had a joystick driven pwc at first, but after some time Chris couldn't keep his arm up on the arm rest to use it because of his frozen shoulders. He could use the joystick, just couldn't bear getting his arm up to it.
So we went for a chin control pwc. Hard when his neck muscles were going...

So I would imagine it should be something like this - evaluate where you are at, what you can do and what types of things give you the most trouble, then look at the best chair for your needs.

Let us know how it goes!

Hi Tracey--nothing to be worried about--their job is to get the best chair for your needs. they are going to want to know what you can do now, and also they will try to anticipate your future needs. I will say, nothing moves quickly though. We have been working on one since March...

>Deep in the "hot" of Texas

deeper in the hotter and more humid part of Texas :)

FRONT DRIVE: best climber
CENTER DRIVE: most maneuverable
REAR DRIVE: easiest to steer, but least maneuverable

Think about seat and fabric...,easily cleaning ? I have a half gel and half inflatable
See if they will donate the up-down function , if not, pre-negotiate the price ( you want this and they may charge you full retail later) Be sure they will have your chairs of interest there, and not at another facility or show.....if so, re-schedule.
Is the chair truly indoor-outdoor? What parts cannot get wet? How deep a puddle can you go thru?

The OT is simply filling in a form on sizes, etc....make sure that you are shown several brand options.....not just one by the sales rep who will likely be present.

Some of these chairs are touted at $57,000 retail you will likely pay retail on repairs....what is the warrantee?
Do they provide a loaner if they need to take the chair for repairs? How long will it take to get the chair? Get a business card....insist on cell phone , but also an office number of someone In Authority that will schedule and prepare invoices. I got the wheelchair suppliers telephone number and made friends....she threw in several free accessories.

I have a Permobile 300 and am quite pleased. Look them up on the web....this is the kind of quality you want.

All of you give good advice.

I too am going towards a Permobil M300 chair. Have been all over the site. I downloaded the order form and yikes that'll make Scrooge expire from a heart attack. I know to get tilt, recline, and elevate with power leg rests. What type of controller and joystick do you suggest. Right now in my basic chair my mom in law sent me I have a golf ball because the rubbery top part was gone and the metal hurt my palm.

Tracy

I have the Permobile C 300 and absolutely love it. The only process for me was measurement. I also had to turn in the little joystick for something called a goalpost handle. It looks just like a football goal Post and I can rest my hand on it and it takes very little to work it. A couple of the other things nobody told me. The higher the speed the more sensitive the control. And I put 'knit ski caps on the feet To reduce the damage I did to my house. Good luckThere is nothing more comfortable than a well fit chair.

>I too am going towards a Permobil M300 chair. Have been all over the site. I downloaded the order form and yikes that'll make Scrooge expire from a heart attack. I know to get tilt, recline, and elevate with power leg rests. What type of controller and joystick do you suggest. Right now in my basic chair my mom in law sent me I have a golf ball because the rubbery top part was gone and the metal hurt my ....

Hi Tracy, my M300 as the same set of features. The mouse is on the right arm and is a little pointy thing. I use it between my thumb and forefinger fairly effectively also I'm totally new to it and a danger to be around.

For why it's worth,

Max

I have the c300. Like the controls. Short joystick that I can either rest my hand over or slide between my fingers. Minimal movement required with a separate control for the functions which can also be controlled with the joystick.

FRONT DRIVE: best climber
CENTER DRIVE: most maneuverable
REAR DRIVE: easiest to steer, but least maneuverable

Center (mid-wheel) drive is the one with the smallest turning radius which brings it closest to "turn on a dime". It is great indoors for this reason. BUT, in a small space where you have to back up and go forward again to get the chair lined up where you want it (such as straight on to the sink, computer, table, etc.) the casters will cause really bad lurching to the side as you back up and move forward.

When my 10 year old rear wheel drive chair needed replaced, the mid-wheel was ordered for me. I can't get it up to the bathroom sink, my computer desk, or positioned in the van without repeated attempts and damage to walls, woodwork, or furniture. Outdoors it gets hung up on uneven surfaces with the casters holding the drive wheels up off the ground spinning uselessly. It has to be driven sideways up the driveway curb or the same thing happens. My old rear wheel drive chair had none of these problems! Even though it couldn't turn on a dime, it was easy to back up a little and complete a tight turn -- without bashing furniture and nearby ankles.

I was horrified to find that a ten year newer chair was far inferior in maneuverability to a ten year old one. I am currently engaged in a battle to get a rear wheel drive chair instead.

Also, if you expect to use BiPAP or a ventilator, don't go with any Quantum brand. Nice chairs but the position of the tilt and recline mechanism on the back of the seat forces the BiPAP or vent to be mounted so far back that the length of the chair is increased significantly. That makes it hard to get into smaller places such as bathrooms and elevators.

See my website at ALS: From Both Sides for more info on choosing and ordering a chair.

tracey ask for the lift ability(seat rises to about 18 inches higher) you'll need a medical "reason" so it will add to quality of life and independence ect....
we asked for it and it wasn't allowed BUT if enough of us ask for it and explain the needs for it.... you never know when or what will make the powers to be "get it" and start adding the lift to what is needed for a more functional life! with any luck it might be you that gets the ok!

we went ahead and paid the extra for the lift ability. examples of how it helps....it puts Steve up at bar stool height and is very nice to be up at everyone's eye level when visiting. It allows the dentist and hair dresser to have him in his own chair for them to work on him and it allows him to reach things otherwise out of his grasp.

Had the appointment today. Easy peasie. Three guys, PT, DME, and a PT student. Forms deluxe.

Next step, DME guy is going to bring a few out to the house for me to try. He's also going to see about ramps for the garage and back porch. He has the name of a place in Dallas that has vans we can look into.

So let the waiting begin. He said the process should take about 45 days from now. Wish me luck.

this is so great Tracy!

the technology today is awesome, and it something we should be grateful for.

The change you will experience, if you use it, will expand your quality of life not reduce it.

Can't wait to see photos. Did you choose the colour of your cape? ;)

I think I'm going to get Volcano Red. With the black seat I will be ready for football season. My sister is making me bags to hang on the armrests out of Texas Tech fabric my mom designed. Then I have some bling to add to the cape and the wheels. Will post pics when it comes.

ooooooooh sounds perfect!

Can't wait for the photos, and to hear how much it improves things for you having mobility without so much effort and risk.

go girl!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back