Diagnosis
03/2014
Country
US
State
mi
City
warren
i have noticed swelling in my fingers today. i have a few fingers that i cannot straighten without bending them forcibly with some pain involved. i dont know if this is an als thing or maybe drug reaction or maybe something else entirely. i have e-mailed my doc but its easter. any ideas would be appreciated. maybe ease my mind till tommorrow anyway.

thanks in advance
shawn
HAPPY EASTER!

It is an ALS thing. As my husband has lost the use of his hands they have started to swell. Part of our circulation involves muscle movement milking the veins, so if there is no movement the blood starts to back up a bit. Stretching is really important at least 2 times a day. I actually had to remove my husbands wedding band yesterday because of the swelling. When he was first diagnosed he had to wear his ring on his middle finger because of the weight loss. It was becoming difficult to was and dry under it properly and he was developing an odour. I had to use a string technique to get it off, so that we didn't have to have it cut off. He has a very thick band and I have cut off enough rings to know that it would have been a bear. He wears it on a sturdy gold chain around his neck now.
Paulette

I have swelling in my feet and ankles. And occasionally in my hands and yes I had to have my ring cut off. Swelling is pretty common in ALS.

Thanks for letting me know this information. My Pals left foot stays swollen and now is left hand is starting to swell. I do ROM but it still is swollen. Does anyone know why it's just the left side?

Debbie

Is his hand weaker on the left side?

Paulette, I think he is. His head is leaning over to the left side now. Will not wear a travel pillow to take some of the pressure off. Surprise. His weakness started on the right side but now more on the left.

Debbie

do ROM on your fingers every day or they will become stiff...delays curling...helps making a fist...push into pain zone

Thank you for posting the question shawn, I just noticed that I had one foot that was swollen.

Rick

thank you everyone for the input. went to my pcp yesterday. just so happens he has three family members with fals, so he is pretty knowledgeable, and he cares enough to call me at home at 10p and assured me it's normal, and to just keep workin them a few times a day as to keep my mobility as long as possible.i have truly been blessed with a fantastic team of medical professionals looking after me. and these forums are very very helpful, not only for all my questions but for the support, and a great way to learn about what im in for. thank you all again.

Yes, typical.
You may extend his use through range of motion exercises.....get right in there and do joint lock manipulation and then each joint
PT is paid for in the home and very helpful

Physical therapy helped my dad with his fingers for awhile. Now the VA has him wearing braces on both hands almost 24/7 to keep them from curving more. There are also special types of silverware you can get if you have trouble grasping the utensils.

My suggestion is before the hand starts to clinch up I'd get a carrot from a physical therapist - its a stuffed cone shaped object that you can pull thru the hands to open them or keep your hands wrapped around it so they don't clinch shut

HI for feeding you can use utensils with handles that are built up/large to make it easier for them to grasp. If they have a hard time reaching their mouth to eat, they also make extended utensils that are longer, that may help. The splints will help keep their hands from getting worse

Another recommendation by my PT was warmth: hot tub, warm water or hot wax dips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back